R1250RT board?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

R1250RT board?

Post by wethead »

How about a dedicated 1250RT board, forum...something? anyone knows where there is one?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: R1250RT board?

Post by milleplod »

My first thought would be....'why?'.  :alas: Do younot like mixing with 1200s?

Pete
MikeS
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 67 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Can't see the point, the water cooled 1200 and 1250 are so similar.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It would be a lonely place. There are plenty of other RT forums, there is a 1200/1250 facebook page and Luxury Touring cover 1200 and 1250s. If you want specific 1250 engine stuff, UKGSER has a lot of members who have 1250 GS/GSA. But as someone has said, its only an engine change, so everything else is the same as the 1200s.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

wethead wrote: How about a dedicated 1250RT board, forum...something? anyone knows where there is one?

No sorry cannot see the point. There are lots of folks here that run older 1200RT oil/air cooled models of various variants which are a heck of a lot different to the water cooled model and we all seem to get on fine. :)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Levisp wrote:
No sorry cannot see the point. There are lots of folks here that run older 1200RT oil/air cooled models of various variants which are a heck of a lot different to the water cooled model and we all seem to get on fine. :)

We do, although it helps if people clearly identify the model they are referring to when they ask for help or offer advice. There are many differences and one should never assume ..... anything  :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
wethead

Post by wethead »

Ok, I 'll buy the consensus: "no need for a 1250 board"

so then, can we get 1250 owners to give us some 'Howzit' reports on ownership: any quirks? any happies? any regrets? if you owned a 1200 before, any differ? was it worth it to trade a 1200?

I am not really interested in articles or tester reviews. I kind of like to hear from the owners
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Early days yet but i,m sure members with the new model 1250cc will keep us informed of any issues ? BMW,s never break down ?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote: Ok, I 'll buy the consensus: "no need for a 1250 board"

so then, can we get 1250 owners to give us some 'Howzit' reports on ownership: any quirks? any happies? any regrets? if you owned a 1200 before, any differ? was it worth it to trade a 1200?

I am not really interested in articles or tester reviews. I kind of like to hear from the owners

I have had mine for 4 months now, no issues, only covered about 3k miles though. I traded a 2014 with 18k in for it. For me, it is a much better bike, better gearbox, auto suspension, engine is a lot stronger. For those with later bikes, probably only the engine is different. So its like all these things, ride it, if you want it, buy it, or keep what you have.
MikeS
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 67 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

wethead wrote: Ok, I 'll buy the consensus: "no need for a 1250 board"

5000 miles on my 1250 since late March. No problems yet but I'll be posting if I have one.
Is it better than the 1200RT? Can't comment because I had a GS before. However, to me there's not an appreciable difference between the engines.

Looking at the differences between the 1200RT and 1250RT I would think carefully before spending hard earned cash to trade up.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote:
5000 miles on my 1250 since late March. No problems yet but I'll be posting if I have one.
Is it better than the 1200RT? Can't comment because I had a GS before. However, to me there's not an appreciable difference between the engines.

Looking at the differences between the 1200RT and 1250RT I would think carefully before spending hard earned cash to trade up.

Got 3k on mine. Think the trade up question depends on which year the 1200 RT was. Mine was a 2014 model, so first year. There is a marked difference between that and my 1250, better gearbox, suspension and the engine, which is a lot stronger. But later year models not so much difference, apart from the engine.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Some riders of the 1250 GS have reported weird noises coming out of the engine to which the Beemer shop appears to fix right away with the "they all do that" treatment. It works everytime at Corp.

The guys with RT are reporting a exaggerated vibration during acceleration. Some claim it went away after miles, others not.

Then, you have the BMW apostles who claim 'it ain't so because BMW is the Immaculate Corporate Manufacturer...sort like the Mother of Jesus.

I am waiting and see what owners keep reporting.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote: Some riders of the 1250 GS have reported weird noises coming out of the engine to which the Beemer shop appears to fix right away with the "they all do that" treatment. It works everytime at Corp.

The guys with RT are reporting a exaggerated vibration during acceleration. Some claim it went away after miles, others not.

Then, you have the BMW apostles who claim 'it ain't so because BMW is the Immaculate Corporate Manufacturer...sort like the Mother of Jesus.

I am waiting and see what owners keep reporting.

Think this all needs to get put into proportion. A small minority of riders report issues on forums, 1000's who are completely satisfied post nothing. I haven't heard of this excessive vibration issue, There are reports of leaking callipers, but these are being fixed as they occur (change of calliper supplier to a US based company). A few have had a wierd engine rattle which sounds like pinning a low revs - I had this, was it annoying, I'd say more different, but mine went away by the time the first service was completed, but as I wear ear protection, this didn't bother me, nothing broke, it was just a different noise. Someone on here has complained about mirror vibration, again, I haven't experienced this. I don't really think people worship BMW, but some people have different expectations. The one thing I will say is, having had Harley for 11 years previously to two wet head BMWs, if you want to experience a manufacturer who doesn't really care about support and poor build quality, look no further than Harley, I had a new CVO Roadking, 7 recalls, and 9 warranty claims in two years, each of which was a nightmare to deal with. At least BMW (in Europe anyway) stand by their product and sort any issues out if they occur. I am pleased with my 1250 and if I do have issues, I have a 3 year warranty, so its not keeping me awake at night :)