Dash cams

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Brian Mac

Dash cams

Post by Brian Mac »

Hi Guys

Back to using my bike for commuting so thought I might ask the forum about Dash cams. Advantages/disadvantages of a helmet mounted camera or the ones you mount directly onto the bike.

Looking for reccomendations and thoughts.

Cheers Brian
LAF

Re: Dash cams

Post by LAF »

All reports on this one are positive.  I saw them on a bike at the BMW National here in the USA and it is very nice.
I am sure there are others but on ADVRIDER and other forums guys love these.  I am saving my money for one right now.
https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2
Last edited by LAF on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k900r

Post by k900r »

The k2 (above) seems good, but was a little expensive for me. I also felt I didn’t need a rear cam. After trying other solutions in the past I’ve now gone for:
INNOVV C5, hard wired and automatically turns on/off with the bike. It’s fixed underneath the headlight as a bike dashcam on loop recording.
I also have a helmet mounted cam, drift ghost X which I’m really impressed with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LAF

Post by LAF »

It is a little expensive for sure. 

But you need to cover your 6 also.  Your biggest risk is rear ended at a stop, and it is why I want a rear facing camera also.
I was just going to do the front but your rear end needs covered also so I will save a bit longer for the front/rear cameras.
Brian Mac

Post by Brian Mac »

Thanks for the feedback gang, still undecided about which way to go but this gives me food for thought.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

LAF wrote:   Your biggest risk is rear ended at a stop, and it is why I want a rear facing camera also.

The biggest risk here in the UK is right-turn violations (or left-turn in the USA). This is where the driver turns across the path of another vehicle without looking.

Forward-facing only should be good enough, but two cameras would obviously be better.
John Bentall
LAF

Post by LAF »

Well it is all in your needs. 

Here in the USA you need your head on a swivel at all times. People are so distracted any longer it is crazy.  Between the cell phones and the infotainment systems in these new cars dashes people are so distracted.
And I wont even go into younger drivers.
Anyway this company makes good stuff so everyone can get what they would like and need.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I have the Innovv K2 on my current RT after having the Innovv K1 on my previous bike. While not perfect the K2 made improvements over the K1 and I’ve been happy with the Innovv brand and support so far. There are other similar systems out there, some at less cost but I think if your purpose is as a dash cam/incident cam, there are a number of reasons why the Innovv or a similar system is needed:

- permanently mounted to bike, not likely to be stolen or removed like a GoPro or left at home because it was forgotten to be mounted.