Tire pressure monitors - Accuracy

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
joemuscat64

Tire pressure monitors - Accuracy

Post by joemuscat64 »

I have just got my '15 1200LC and i find that the tire pressure monitors are not accurate. In fact they mark lower than my own TP gauges. I use a digital one and also an Oxford gauge which agree. My gauges will mark 2.5 and 2.9 and I get 2.4 and 2.7 or 2.8 on the bike... Is this normal?
Last edited by joemuscat64 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Tire pressure monitors - Accuracy

Post by Viking John »

That sounds about right, the mechanic at my garage told me that they are " a rough guide".
So I put ion the correct amount (checked with a decent gauge) then note what the dashboard says, so I can notice if they have gone down.
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

Viking John wrote: That sounds about right, the mechanic at my garage told me that they are " a rough guide".
So I put ion the correct amount (checked with a decent gauge) then note what the dashboard says, so I can notice if they have gone down.

:) Thank you, I thought so as my gauges are pretty good.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Sounds like they need calibrating. Mine have always been accurate to within 0.1 of a bar which is pretty good. I always have my dash set to Tyre Px when I’m riding, it’s interesting to see how the pressures vary according to conditions and tyre temperatures. The system has “saved” me a couple of times when I’ve had slow punctures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

One of the best bike inventions ever. Potentially saved my life last year. Was in the fast lane on a dual carriageway on my last bike (a Triumph). Overtaking a car at a slightly silly speed. Suddenly the TFT screen started flashing red and white. Tyre pressure gone. Point is, I didn't feel anything at the back end. I rolled off immediately and glided to a stop on the side. Tyre was totally flat with a nail in it. Without the warning I would have continued until the back would have just gone at speed.
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

B787MECH wrote: Sounds like they need calibrating. Mine have always been accurate to within 0.1 of a bar which is pretty good. I always have my dash set to Tyre Px when I’m riding, it’s interesting to see how the pressures vary according to conditions and tyre temperatures. The system has “saved” me a couple of times when I’ve had slow punctures.

Any idea how they can be calibrated? Also I would say they are off by 0.1 to 0.2 of a bar but that's between 1.5  and 3 PSI

Last edited by joemuscat64 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I believe the only way is to take it to a dealer who has the equipment to do it. Might be possible using a GS-911 but I haven’t got one so not sure.

Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Your digital and Oxford may agree but are they compensated to 20 C?

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
Capture.JPG
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I check my tyre pressures often and in 30,000 miles the readout on my current bike is always spot on from cold, then may drift up or down by 0.1 bar during a long ride.

For me, the RDC is a guide to make me aware of an issue between manual checks.  I trust my gauges and if the RDC was a little out it would still be a useful guide.

I don't use service station air lines except in dire (tyre) emergency.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE