Cylinder head protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
sgl
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Cylinder head protection

Post by sgl »

Are the bmw cylinder head covers adequate protection in a tip over or should I get the guards from ZTechnik, Illium, wunderlich, etc?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Cylinder head protection

Post by timminator »

sgl wrote: Are the bmw cylinder head covers adequate protection in a tip over or should I get the guards from ZTechnik, Illium, wunderlich, etc?
I have found them to be more than sufficient, my bike has been down twice and zero damage.  Most drops happen in your garage, or at low speed maneuvers, in which case these are fine.  If you go down at a higher speed the bars are going to provide more protection.  But if you're going down at higher speeds, you probably have way bigger problems than damaging the cylinder covers.  Just my 2 cents.
BMW MOA #210438
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Are BMW selling head covers for the 1250 now then?  I haven't seen them anywhere up 'til now.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... -r-1250-rt

Scroll down to Safety and open up Cylinder head cover guard.
Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Thanks David, yes I knew that they were on the BMW website but I had been unable to find anywhere that actually sold them.  Time for another trip to the dealer if they are available now.  Unlikely to get them before my trip to France next week though I guess.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I found the BMW covers were good when my 1200LC laid down for a rest.  As mentioned above, like most drops this was stationary in a car park.  Just a scuff on the black plastic insert.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

How do cylinder head protectors stop the bags getting scuffed then? Had them on my 1200, but never got to see as I never dropped it. But I have put engine and rear bars on my 1250 just in case. I did not put them on for a high speed down as the bike will be trashed anyway, but for low speed or stationary  drops. Surprised with cylinder head covers, the mirrors don't touch down.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: How do cylinder head protectors stop the bags getting scuffed then? Had them on my 1200, but never got to see as I never dropped it. But I have put engine and rear bars on my 1250 just in case. I did not put them on for a high speed down as the bike will be trashed anyway, but for low speed or stationary  drops. Surprised with cylinder head covers, the mirrors don't touch down.

I didn't think they did? I thought that was the job of the plastic protector for the bottom of the pannier, or the halfords bumper strips as some use.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The cylinder head protector protects the cylinder head.......  Halfords bumper strips protected the panniers.  As you said Casbar if you are moving at any appreciable speed or hit anything then you'll have a lot more to think about anyway.

Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Well inspired by this thread I decided to visit my dealer and, as luck would have it, they just happened to have a set of head guards - so now I will have them for my trip.  Hopefully will never find out if they work (BMW only claim that they protect against "stones thrown up from the road" and suchlike).
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Is it impolite to ask the cost?  I'm considering them.

Mike
sgl
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by sgl »

BMW covers are about $280US. 
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

With 10% discount they were £189
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I thought of the head protectors, but instead went for the Wunderlich engine bars and I'm happy with them.  Cost £269 from Nippy Normans
Fotofast

Post by Fotofast »

I considered full set of bars like on my GSA for my RT but went with X-Head_LC cylinder guards, didn't want to ruin the lines and like others have said if you need more than this this there are going to be bigger problems. 
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 8.12.36 am.png