Best Bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Best Bike

Post by gogs01 »

I have read lots of posts about issues and shortcomings relating to the R1200RT family. I've even suggested that something a little smaller, lighter and cheaper would better suit someone of advancing years and receding fitness such as myself.
However, I'm on day 11 of a 12 day trip from Scotland through England, Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy,  France and Belgium and I just don't see how any other bike could match the RT. On the German autobahn or the Vrsic pass it was brilliant. It coped with 36 degrees, torrential rain and flooded roads, smooth asphalt and badly degraded surfaces too.
The GS may be (IS) more popular, and it's a brilliant bike, but I truly believe the RT is better. It's comfortable, quick and economical too - I'm sitting at 65 mpg and I've done 290 miles on a tank without any worry oof running dry. Admittedly that wasn't on the autobahn .....
My bike's a 2017 model and has now done 33000 miles and I need to decide if I want to trade up in 2020 .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Best Bike

Post by simbo »

gogs01 wrote: I have read lots of posts about issues and shortcomings relating to the R1200RT family. I've even suggested that something a little smaller, lighter and cheaper would better suit someone of advancing years and receding fitness such as myself...

My bike's a 2017 model and has now done 33000 miles and I need to decide if I want to trade up in 2020 .....

Why not keep the RT for your touring adventures/holiday's and add something smaller and more manageable for local stuff with the cost it would to change to a 2020 model? Best of both worlds then. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)