Valve Cover Gasket

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
paulgelineau

Valve Cover Gasket

Post by paulgelineau »

Have a 2015 R1200RT and will be replacing the left valve cover gasket, have a bit of oil leaking.
Question: After thoroughly cleaning both sealing surfaces (engine side and cover side) does anyone recommend an additional sealant?  Like Permatex, or similar products.  I have OEM gasket kit coming on order.
Cheers from the Okanogan Highlands of Washington State, USA.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Valve Cover Gasket

Post by milleplod »

I've previously fitted new gaskets to my old 1200ST and my current RT, but never used a sealant of any sort. I found that the removed seals were noticeably harder than the new ones, presumably the engine heat has an effect on them over time. You might want to check the sealing surfaces of the rocker cover and cylinder head - have the covers been off before, and is there any damage to what should be perfectly flat surfaces? If not, I would think new seals will work fine on their own, without a sealant.
Pete
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Thanks Pete.  Currently have 40 thousand miles on the bike and while the covers have been off to check valve clearances, the gaskets have never been replaced.  Makes sense that they would get harder with heat and age.
Cheers,
Paul
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

paulgelineau wrote: Currently have 40 thousand miles on the bike
I Have NEVER replaced the rocker cover gasket on any RT. I find that if the surface is clean and the seal is not damaged it seals right up. I have heard that some folk have had these seals harden up, but the ones I have dealt with have never really hardened.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

bandytales wrote: I Have NEVER replaced the rocker cover gasket on any RT. I find that if the surface is clean and the seal is not damaged it seals right up. I have heard that some folk have had these seals harden up, but the ones I have dealt with have never really hardened.
Mine didn't need replacing, even though they were definitely harder than new ones - I only did them because I picked up the new ones dirt cheap on good old fleabay....twice!  :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

milleplod wrote: Mine didn't need replacing, even though they were definitely harder than new ones - I only did them because I picked up the new ones dirt cheap on good old fleabay....twice!  :)
Nice!