Alarm Sensitivity

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Alarm Sensitivity

Post by MikeS »

Can anybody give me some insight into what the factory fitted alarm's sensitivity is based on ? Sometimes just opening and closing the panniers is enough to trigger it, other times quite large movements have no effect.
Yesterday stopped on the drive after a run out, alarm armed as usual, bike on side stand. Left it 10 mins and then pushed it into the garage(without disarming)and put it on the main stand. Not a peep.
Does having the keyless fob in your pocket make any difference. I thought it was armed till the ignition was turned on.
(R1250RT by the way).

Mike
gogs01

Re: Alarm Sensitivity

Post by gogs01 »

I think my bike will have exactly  the same alarm as yours.  I find the same sort of thing as you describe, and I think you may be on to something with the proximity of the keyless fob.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

It probably shuts it off if you have the fob near it.  My problem is that it goes off randomly while parked in my garage at night for no reason.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Mine did as well replaced twice under warranty.  Sits under back of rear seat always put cloth there when washing as told they are full of water a lot of time.
Jumpjet

Post by Jumpjet »

Yes having the key-fob near it temporary disables the alarm.  When you press the ignition switch with the key-fob nearby, it then disables the alarm.  I never have disarm when I'm riding away.  I am just wondering if anyone know if the sensitivity can be adjusted?  I believe it only has a motion sensor and not a shock sensor,  so it only takes movement of the bike to set it off. 
Last edited by Jumpjet on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

My alarm seems to have a mind of its own, like yours. Red light flashing on the screen, key fob in the house, vigorously shake the bike... Not a peep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk