Hi. And has anyone else lost rain mode?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Malcvtr

Hi. And has anyone else lost rain mode?

Post by Malcvtr »

Hi from the UK. Great forum here and thanks to Casbar for pointing me this way.

Weirdness happened today on my R1250RT. Rain mode has disappeared from the dynamic ESA menu! Anyone know what's going on? I tried it with the engine running, but still no Rain mode.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi. And has anyone else lost rain mode?

Post by Casbar »

Malcvtr wrote: Hi from the UK. Great forum here and thanks to Casbar for pointing me this way.

Weirdness happened today on my R1250RT. Rain mode has disappeared from the dynamic ESA menu! Anyone know what's going on? I tried it with the engine running, but still no Rain mode.

Welcome, glad you finally made it. I will have a look over the weekend, to be honest I have never used rain mode on my 1250 or on my 1200. I used to just be gentle on the throttle or maybe its just laziness :) Do you not just select from the mode menu on the right bar with engine running and with throttle closed. Do you still have road?
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Casbar wrote:
Welcome, glad you finally made it. I will have a look over the weekend, to be honest I have never used rain mode on my 1250 or on my 1200. I used to just be gentle on the throttle or maybe its just laziness :) Do you not just select from the mode menu on the right bar with engine running and with throttle closed. Do you still have road?
Thanks Casbar. Yep, got all three engine modes. It's the ESA (suspension) mode that's acting up. If I use the right hand mode button it goes

RAIN - ROAD
ROAD - ROAD
DYNA - DYNA

RAIN has literally disappeared from the ESA menu.

thwak
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by thwak »

There is no "Rain" in the Dynamic ESA menu as far as I know. I think it is a Ride Mode only and there are three choices: Rain, Road and Dynamic.
2019 R1250 RT
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

thwak wrote: There is no "Rain" in the Dynamic ESA menu as far as I know. I think it is a Ride Mode only and there are three choices: Rain, Road and Dynamic.

I think that is right - there are three selectable throttle modes but only two suspension modes Road and Dynamic. What would a RAIN suspension mode do that might be different from ROAD?

I never want to have different throttle response modes - and only very occasionally use a dynamic suspension mode when the road surface is good enough.
John Bentall
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Interesting. I'm sure it used to be in my menu. There's this from www.ultimatemotorcycling.com:
"There are three Dynamic ESA suspension modes—Dynamic, Road, and Rain—and they all enhance performance and safety. Inherently self-explanatory, the three modes are distinctive, yet not excessively different. Should you forget to switch out of Rain mode when the sun is shining, the RT still handles fine, even if the suspension is additionally compliant. Dynamic on a wet road is far from treacherous—just not ideal. It doesn’t take much to experiment with the three modes—you can switch between them on the fly—and determine which mode is what you need for what you’re doing. Unsurprisingly, I preferred the Dynamic mode in the twisties, and the cushier Road or Rain mode on the superslab."

And this is from www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk:
"In "Rain" mode, the spring elements operate with a soft basic setting. ASC is set in "Rain" mode for particularly early control intervention to ensure the maximum possible safety. ABS is configured to road use.

If the rider selects the "Road" mode, Dynamic ESA will have a more rigid set-up. ASC ensures optimal traction on dry roads and ABS is also configured for road use here.

In "Dynamic" mode, BMW Dynamic ESA provides an even more rigid shock absorber setting"

However, if there's nothing wrong with my ESA, I'm happy! I'd appreciate it if someone with Dynamic ESA could confirm whether or not they can have "RAIN" displayed on the right side of their screen (suspension) as well as on the left (engine). Many thanks!

Last edited by Malcvtr on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Malcvtr wrote: Interesting. I'm sure it used to be in my menu. There's this from www.ultimatemotorcycling.com:
"There are three Dynamic ESA suspension modes—Dynamic, Road, and Rain—and they all enhance performance and safety. Inherently self-explanatory, the three modes are distinctive, yet not excessively different. Should you forget to switch out of Rain mode when the sun is shining, the RT still handles fine, even if the suspension is additionally compliant. Dynamic on a wet road is far from treacherous—just not ideal. It doesn’t take much to experiment with the three modes—you can switch between them on the fly—and determine which mode is what you need for what you’re doing. Unsurprisingly, I preferred the Dynamic mode in the twisties, and the cushier Road or Rain mode on the superslab."

And this is from www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk:
"In "Rain" mode, the spring elements operate with a soft basic setting. ASC is set in "Rain" mode for particularly early control intervention to ensure the maximum possible safety. ABS is configured to road use.

If the rider selects the "Road" mode, Dynamic ESA will have a more rigid set-up. ASC ensures optimal traction on dry roads and ABS is also configured for road use here.

The links in your message don't seem to refer to any specific model or type of Dynamic ESA.

I hope this text from the BMW Press Release for the R1250RT will clarify matters

"Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” is pre-set to the “Road” damping [size=78%]characteristics in the standard set-up of the riding modes “Rain”, “Road” and “Dynamic”. At the press of a button – conveniently positioned on the handlebars so it can even be operated during travel – the rider can switch to the damping characteristics “Dynamic” in the riding modes “Rain” and “Road”, thereby selecting a tighter damping set-up. The tighter damping variant “Dynamic” is pre-set in the riding modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”."[/size]

In "Dynamic" mode, BMW Dynamic ESA provides an even more rigid shock absorber setting"

However, if there's nothing wrong with my ESA, I'm happy! I'd appreciate it if someone with Dynamic ESA could confirm whether or not they can have "RAIN" displayed on the right side of their screen (suspension) as well as on the left (engine). Many thanks!

What does it say about available damping modes on page 81 (in the bottom left hand corner) and on page 137 and just overleaf on page 138 of your Rider Manual?  It might be different to mine.

I can't tell from your internet links what type of Dynamic ESA is being referred to.

I found this in the BMW Press Release for the 1250RT and GS:-

"Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” is pre-set to the “Road” damping
characteristics in the standard set-up of the riding modes “Rain”, “Road” and “Dynamic”. At the press of a button – conveniently positioned on the handlebars so it can even be operated during travel – the rider can switch to the damping characteristics “Dynamic” in the riding modes “Rain” and “Road”, thereby selecting a tighter damping set-up. The tighter damping variant “Dynamic” is pre-set in the riding modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”.

P.S. Thanks for making me do this research - 'cos it's definitely different to my last RT!
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

beemerboy9 wrote:
What does it say about available damping modes on page 81 (in the bottom left hand corner) and on page 137 and just overleaf on page 138 of your Rider Manual?  It might be different to mine.

I can't tell from your internet links what type of Dynamic ESA is being referred to.

I found this in the BMW Press Release for the 1250RT and GS:-

"Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” is pre-set to the “Road” damping
characteristics in the standard set-up of the riding modes “Rain”, “Road” and “Dynamic”. At the press of a button – conveniently positioned on the handlebars so it can even be operated during travel – the rider can switch to the damping characteristics “Dynamic” in the riding modes “Rain” and “Road”, thereby selecting a tighter damping set-up. The tighter damping variant “Dynamic” is pre-set in the riding modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”.

P.S. Thanks for making me do this research - 'cos it's definitely different to my last RT!
Thank you! I'm away at the moment and didn't bring my manual with me. However, downloading the latest manual (your question made me search the internet for it :D ) revealed that all is well. Thank God. Here is the relevant page: