Post-2014 lights

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Post-2014 lights

Post by gogs01 »

I've had my bike three years and 34000 miles now and I've been happy with the DRLs and automatic headlight function.  I thought the move to one dip and two main from the previous two dip and one main was a backward step, but no real cause for complaint.
Today, however, a bike similar to mine was showing only one "main" bulb lit. I pointed this out to the rider and he said he had been running on dip when the bulb blew and the bike "defaulted" to one main.
Am I the only one who was unaware of this feature on the R1200RT ?
I never cease to be impressed with the BMW engineers .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Re: Post-2014 lights

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote: I never cease to be impressed with the BMW engineers .....
Hmm...
I would much rather have 2 low beams and 1 high beam.
Impressed, not me. I would say, satisfied.
In this day and age of automotive engineering, the technology available to manufacturers is amazing. What we end up with for the most part is satisfactory but as has been covered on countless forums is, there are far to many mistakes being made.
For example, seats, screens, bodywork mounting method, access to air filters, access to headlights, corrosion protection, suppleness of ride quality, locking SatNav, switchgear ergo's, power handling of accessory sockets, foot rest rubbers rotating, windscreen performance, silencer valve seizures, auxiliary fog light failures, gearbox clunking into 1st gear etc.
gary45

Post by gary45 »

I was not happy with my 2018 low beam until I found it set in the wrong position. There is a lever under the nose that adjusts headlight 3 positions depending on solo, luggage, etc. It's in the manual

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote: Hmm...
I would much rather have 2 low beams and 1 high beam.
Impressed, not me. I would say, satisfied.
In this day and age of automotive engineering, the technology available to manufacturers is amazing. What we end up with for the most part is satisfactory but as has been covered on countless forums is, there are far to many mistakes being made.
For example, seats, screens, bodywork mounting method, access to air filters, access to headlights, corrosion protection, suppleness of ride quality, locking SatNav, switchgear ergo's, power handling of accessory sockets, foot rest rubbers rotating, windscreen performance, silencer valve seizures, auxiliary fog light failures, gearbox clunking into 1st gear etc.

There are other brands available :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:

There are other brands available :)

Casbar, you read me wrong.
I like my bike very much. However, what I can't do is think that this top notch brand is turning out products that are top notch stuff. I am addicted to the feel of a boxer engine. I am a big fan of the concept of telelever / paralever suspension for big bikes. So for those 2 reasons alone, I am trapped by the brand. If Honda did one of these bikes i'd be there like a shot.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I would have preferred the wethead have two low/dip beams and one high beam. As it is, if the low beam dies then, yes, one of the main beams turn on, albeit at a reduced output. However, it is still a main beam, and still angled higher, and therefore shines into oncoming drivers/riders eyes. And guess what they do? Retaliate!! Not a very safe option in my view. I guess that's one way of ensuring the low beam bulb gets changed quickly, that is, if you can get your mitts into the sucker!!
But, I do love the bike!!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

So, I still don't know why BMW decided to change from two dipped / one main to one dipped / two main, but I think it's clever having a main come on if the dipped beam fails to avoid being left in the dark. Does anybody know if this applies to bikes, like mine, which have DRLs and automatic headlight ?

No, the bike's not perfect but it's loaded with tech (most of which I like) and it has all worked over three years and 33,000 miles and I take my hat off to the engineers who have got the right things right.

Maybe one day we'll get a perfect bike, but I doubt it and, until then, I'll be happy if my current bike keeps running .....
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Mine's a 2016 wethead and I run DRL and the auto-sense headlights. My post above refers to this bike.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

bushbikie wrote: Mine's a 2016 wethead and I run DRL and the auto-sense headlights. My post above refers to this bike.

OK - clear.  Many thanks !  :)