Up coming tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
buzz

Up coming tour

Post by buzz »

Well a week today I'll be boarding the Hull to Rotterdam ferry for my bike trip with my buddy on his GS and my RT.
No routes planned as yet other than the countries we hope to pass though although we would like to get to Bran castle.
Germany Poland, Hungary Romania Bosnia Siberia Croatia Austria Northern Italy and back though Germany.
Has anybody got any really good routes or places that would be worth taking in.
We're trying to get it covered in 11 or 12 days riding {long days}so we want to get something linked up if possible
gogs01

Re: Up coming tour

Post by gogs01 »

You'll do well to get to Siberia and back in 12 days .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
buzz

Post by buzz »

I should have read it before I posted it LOL, it should have said Serbia 
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've been to most of these countries on the bike, but not on the same trip. If you want to do them all in 12 days you won't see very much apart from road.
Personally, I would choose either Northern Europe - Germany / Austria  / Czech Republic / Poland or Southern Europe - Croatia / Bosnia / Romania, or give yourself twice as long !

There are many highlights and one which immediately comes to mind for me is the coast road down the West of Croatia. I rode from Zadar to Dubrovnik avoiding motorways and the road was quiet, interesting (but not in the least difficult) and the views of the many islands in the Adriatic were beautiful. Perhaps that would be my tip if you don't have any real plan or itinerary - avoid motorways, although that might be impossible if you really want to visit all those countries.

Also, remember speed limits, tolls and vignettes. Countries like Romania give the impression of being a little backward but they're very good at identifying vehicles (including motorcycles) using their roads without the appropriate vignette - and they'll hunt you down. Being fined a few weeks after you get back can take the edge off an otherwise excellent trip.
Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your adventure - I look forward to reading all about it !  ;D

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Sounds like the tour I did in '71 on my Bonneville.  Except for Poland, Hungary, Romania and, of course, Siberia.

I had to revise the number of countries I'd visited, since E. Germany and Yugoslavia no longer exist, but were replaced by Slovenia, Croatia etc. after the break-up.  Don't know if I should count San Remo and the Vatican as proper countries, tho'.

BTW, Gogs01, for the sake of us colonials, what's a vignette??  Not a short story, I'm guessing (tho' it sounds like it might have an unhappy ending).
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: BTW, Gogs01, for the sake of us colonials, what's a vignette??  Not a short story, I'm guessing (tho' it sounds like it might have an unhappy ending).

Effectively a road toll, you pay a fee to be allowed to use certain roads, generally motorways. Then you get a sticker to go on your bike to prove you've paid