2005 R1200RT storage fairing compartment remedy

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

2005 R1200RT storage fairing compartment remedy

Post by jackronner »

:thumbs: [size=78%]Apart from the fact that there's only ONE compartment, I find it poorly designed.  Unless you have tiny Trump-hands, it's almost impossible to get you hand to the bottom of the very deep compartment.  The opening is extremely narrow, and your wristwatch catches as you try to withdraw you hand (especially with that sharp clip-on attachment for your flashlight (torch).  Definitely not something you want to try at speed.[/size]

[size=2px]Remedy:  I cut a piece of soft foam rubber and folded it once and inserted in the compartment.  This leaves you a shallower, easily accessible space on top, and allows you to store less frequently needed items beneath the foam.
[/size][size=2px]
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 2005 R1200RT storage fairing compartment remedy

Post by temesvar »

Picture? :not:
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Did the same thing myself on all my RT’s. I used a piece of soft foam about an inch thick shaped to fit in the bottom of the compartment. The size of the compartment is quite cavernous and can therefore hold a good deal of stuff. I can even get my electric tyre pump in mine with the items on top that will be required on a frequent basis. I agree that the top opening is a bit narrow but the practicallity of the thing makes up for that.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

This only applies to the air-cooled RTs.  The storage compartment on the LC bikes is very shallow, but at least you don't run the risk of ripping your hand open on the clip on the lid of the compartment of the air cooled models.  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

I must have little hands!
Three bottles of water for touring, cargo net and a puck
Why waste the space with foam
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Wow! Some of you guys must have BIG HANDS!?!?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Cas21 wrote: I must have little hands!
Three bottles of water for touring, cargo net and a puck
Why waste the space with foam
The foam dosen’t waste any space. In my case it’s about an inch thick amd compresses to next to nothing in the bottom. My “Thermos” fits in just fine and the spongy foam holds it in place. If the Torch holding clip is causing access problems, “cut it off”.
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

There is supposedly a trap for monkeys where you drill a hole in a tethered coconut, place a nut, etc. inside and when the monkey grasps it, his fist is too large to withdraw through the hole. The monkey refuses to drop his prize and is captured. It is a great metaphor for, literally, overreaching greed, but it's also how I feel when I can't get my hand out of the compartment whilst grasping what I'm trying to fetch!

BTW. soft foam is so compressible that you can always add objects on top (I already stow things below the foam, which also keeps those items from rattling around under there).  You could also use a harder foam, cut to fit, that would stop part way down as the space tapers toward the  bottom).  And, should you need all the room:  use the foam as an extra seat cushion or stow it elsewhere.
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
United States of America

Post by raider57 »

I cut that clip off the lid of my 2012RT, then carefully smoothed the area with a dremel tool.  Way easier to reach in there now, and less painful!
Fits all my everyday items, a small rag, turnpike EZ-Pass, clear and dark sunglasses, gloves, wallet and cell phone, plus any house keys or garage openers.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

This looks like the part you would need ? Radio Partition Insert

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/microfich ... GroupID=77
Last edited by Rider1260 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.