New from York PA - 11' RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
LimitedReality

New from York PA - 11' RT

Post by LimitedReality »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum today.  Purchased a 11' RT this weekend with all the bells and whistles and just a hair over 10K on the odometer.  Very excited about this new bike.  I've had several bikes in the past (those with * are current bikes):

78' Honda CX500
82' Honda GL500 Silverwing
01' Kawasaki Ninja 250 EX
05' Kawasaki Ninja 636
*07' Yamaha Stratoliner
12' Honda CBR 250R
*14' Honda NC700x

I'll be selling the Stratoliner now that I have a new, more comfortable highway mile muncher.  Wife just got her license and started riding so she has a 14' Rebel 250 in the garage now too (which she dropped for the first time this weekend, heh).  Live in the York PA area and work in Baltimore, MD.  Already have my head spinning about all the tools to purchase and maintenance to learn for the upcoming 12K service but so far the community for this bike seems great. 

And that's about all I can think to say.  /Intro
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: New from York PA - 11' RT

Post by simbo »

Hi and welcome 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Welcome to the forum.
It looks like the RT is the biggest and heaviest bike you've had, so take your time getting used to it.

The RT has the most comfortable pillion seat (according to my wife), so don't let her sit on it unless you want to be riding with a passenger all the time !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gogs01 wrote:
It looks like the RT is the biggest and heaviest bike you've had, so take your time getting used to

What!!!!  Have you seen a Yamaha Stratoliner?  ;D
John Bentall
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

welcome and enjoy
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

beemerboy9 wrote: What!!!!  Have you seen a Yamaha Stratoliner?  ;D 
Actually, no !  :o  I read it as a700 Stratoliner rather than a '07 Stratoliner !  Thanks for pointing out my error.  After googling it I see that the RT is the weight of an adult less than the Yamaha !
The RT will be a much sportier mile-muncher, so I hope it works for LimitedReality.  :D

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
LimitedReality

Post by LimitedReality »

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Yes the Stratoliner is heavier, but since it sits so low it doesn't make me feel as tippy/nervous as the RT currently does, but walking it around the garage still isn't fun.  The RT is definitely a very capable bike.  I had originally thought that I'd keep the NC for the shorter local rides through the twisties but I think once I get comfortable the RT will do them just as well.  Although I definitely do have an affinity for smaller bikes -- there's a special place in my heart for a 250 that makes you feel like Valentino Rossi when you're taking corners at 35 mph.  The RT, while not fast, is deceptive with it's comfort and wind protection.  10 over speed limit feels like 10 under -- the complete opposite side of the spectrum.

The dry clutch will take a bit to get use to.  Stalled the RT twice in the 100 miles I've put on it in 2 days, and then overcompensated and had a nice burning smell yesterday coming off a hill.  Ultimately showing my shortcomings in clutch modulation that wet clutches have hidden all these years. 

Just met up with a local with a GS who sold me his GS911.  So at least I got the most expensive tool out of the way now.

Thanks again!