Keyless key battery

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Pricey2003
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Keyless key battery

Post by Pricey2003 »

Ive just changed the key in my keyless key. Fortunately it gave me a little warning as it was getting a little sluggish operating the ignition and steering lock. I did not notice the warning icon on the dashboard. I checked what to do in the riders manual and it seems a complicated procedure. I now carry a couple of CR 2032 3v battery's in my top locker.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who’s been locked out and had to take the speaker off in the flat key battery procedure.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Keyless key battery

Post by Casbar »

Pricey2003 wrote: Ive just changed the key in my keyless key. Fortunately it gave me a little warning as it was getting a little sluggish operating the ignition and steering lock. I did not notice the warning icon on the dashboard. I checked what to do in the riders manual and it seems a complicated procedure. I now carry a couple of CR 2032 3v battery's in my top locker.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who’s been locked out and had to take the speaker off in the flat key battery procedure.

If you have your emergency key with you, you only need to push it between the top of the dash (in the slot to start the bike) good idea to practice. When your battery is going flat you will stat to see the red warning on the dash which indicates the range is dropping. I do carry a spare battery, but not in the locker but in my jacket.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Pricey2003 wrote: Ive just changed the key in my keyless key. Fortunately it gave me a little warning as it was getting a little sluggish operating the ignition and steering lock. I did not notice the warning icon on the dashboard. I checked what to do in the riders manual and it seems a complicated procedure. I now carry a couple of CR 2032 3v battery's in my top locker.
Duracell or Panasonic are the only 2 brands of CR batteries I will use, got some no name junk on amazon they lasted all of 2 months
I carry several spares in various numbers as I’ve helped several stranded riders of various bikes in the last couple years

Jim
Jim
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Casbar wrote:
If you have your emergency key with you, you only need to push it between the top of the dash (in the slot to start the bike) good idea to practice. When your battery is going flat you will stat to see the red warning on the dash which indicates the range is dropping. I do carry a spare battery, but not in the locker but in my jacket.
You can use the original fob instead of the emergency as they both have the transponder in them, i found that out when the battery went on my fob.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rick B wrote: You can use the original fob instead of the emergency as they both have the transponder in them, i found that out when the battery went on my fob.

So are you saying, if your battery is flat, you can use the fob to start the bike by pushing the key between the dash? The manual doesn't mention that, or are you saying if the battery is nearly flat, holding the fob near the ring will allow it to start the bike?
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
So are you saying, if your battery is flat, you can use the fob to start the bike by pushing the key between the dash? The manual doesn't mention that, or are you saying if the battery is nearly flat, holding the fob near the ring will allow it to start the bike?

I would be surprised if it was not in the manual, it is page 65 of the 1250 manual, we toon headed "[size=2px]Loss of the radio-[/size]
[size=2px]operated key". You use the emergency key between the dash[/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote:
I would be surprised if it was not in the manual, it is page 65 of the 1250 manual, we toon headed "Loss of the radio-
operated key". You use the emergency key between the dash

That is not what he is saying is it! He was saying that if the battery was flat the fob key works like the emergency key. I know how the emergency key works.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

From what i can gather they both have the same transponder/chip/whatever in them and that the battery is only there to create a wireless signal for  the keyless and to operate the alarm/central locking
Last edited by Rick B on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

So - even with the battery removed, I'll be able to start the bike using the key fob in the same way as directed in the manual for the emergency key ?  -  right ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: So - even with the battery removed, I'll be able to start the bike using the key fob in the same way as directed in the manual for the emergency key ?  -  right ?

That would be a revelation, anyone want to try it :) Remove the fob battery and see if they can start the bike using the same process as the emergency key
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ok, having just looked at the manual, I think I get what he is saying. If you have lost the fob, you can start the bike by using the emergency key, by sticking it into the gap above the instrument cluster, or if you key fob battery is flat.

But if your key fob battery is flat and you don't have the emergency key with you, you can take off the speaker cover and put the fob behind the instruments and the bike will start, so the fob even with a flat battery is acting as the emergency key. But not sure if that works if there is no battery, or it works because even if the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the bike normally, it will probably have enough juice left if you actually put the fob onto the ring at the back of the instrument cluster.

So if anyone wants to test this, they will need to remove the fob battery and go through the process. Eitherway, its not acting as the emergency key, so you just can't stick the key bit between the cluster.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Well I (Kind of ) stand corrected,Just tried the fob without the battery behind the back of the instruments,and NO :nervous: !i presume it needs the battery for continuity, So it looks like i was led up the garden path slightly,,Still there is help on the manual.Page 52
Attachments
Screenshot (90).png
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rick B wrote: Well I (Kind of ) stand corrected,Just tried the fob without the battery behind the back of the instruments,and NO :nervous: !i presume it needs the battery for continuity, So it looks like i was led up the garden path slightly,,Still there is help on the manual.Page 52

Good to know though, great you have tried it :)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Good to know though, great you have tried it :)
Yes, thanks for doing that. I carry an emergency key in case I lose the fob and I now know why I carry a couple of spare batteries for the fob - much better to replace the battery than have to strip panels off the bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

gogs01 wrote: Yes, thanks for doing that. I carry an emergency key in case I lose the fob and I now know why I carry a couple of spare batteries for the fob - much better to replace the battery than have to strip panels off the bike.
I've just duct taped 2 spare batteries to the underside of the cubby hole lid ,just in case.