General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Service History

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:Are they happy to stamp the book despite them not doing everything on the maintenance schedule?
Yes, they stamp the book because I have requested & they have carried out a BMW Service.
B787MECH wrote:And if so, are you able to satisfy the requirements of the warranty i.e. produce service invoices etc?
Yes, an invoice is received for the work done.
B787MECH wrote:In other words, is a stamp in the book really all that you need for the warranty?
No, not necessarily, proof of servicing plus invoices from the servicing retailer are required. Having said that, BMW will have access to all the service records carried out within the dealer network.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: Yes, they stamp the book because I have requested & they have carried out a BMW Service.

Yes, an invoice is received for the work done.

No, not necessarily, proof of servicing plus invoices from the servicing retailer are required. Having said that, BMW will have access to all the service records carried out within the dealer network.
In that case, the stamp is actually pretty meaningless because the dealer has a record on computer of what they did and you only have invoices for their work done, not a full service. From a warranty point of view, doesn’t that mean you can’t prove the bike has been maintained to the maintenance schedule? I’ve heard of unscrupulous employees who’ll stamp your book for the price of a pint just so your book can show a fsh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:In that case, the stamp is actually pretty meaningless because the dealer has a record on computer of what they did and you only have invoices for their work done, not a full service.
Back to the OP, a potential buyer, private or dealer, is only likely to look for stamps in the book, rather than interrogate the BMW service history.
B787MECH wrote:From a warranty point of view, doesn’t that mean you can’t prove the bike has been maintained to the maintenance schedule?
As posted previously, I'm prepared to have bespoke servicing done on my bike by the BMW dealer.

When the bike was 3 years old, I had an oil & filter service, not an annual service which was due at the time.
Later that year, both handlebar multi-function switches were change under warranty, one failed & was changed in Germany, the other in the UK.

In 2017, I had a bespoke service completed which included a F&R brake fluid change. In 2018, both front brake callipers were change under warranty.

In 2018, I had another oil & filter service only. Recently, had the bike at the dealers to diagnose why the exhaust flap wasn't working properly.
The investigation work was FOC, plus, on this occasion, the faulty servo motor wasn't covered under the warranty, nothing to do with service history.

To date, "touch wood", I've not had any warranty claims rejected due to my service regime.
B787MECH wrote:I’ve heard of unscrupulous employees who’ll stamp your book for the price of a pint just so your book can show a FSH.
Agreed, but unlikely to happen at a BMW dealer. All the stamps in my book are BMW ones.
Last edited by David. on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: Back to the OP, a potential buyer, private or dealer, is only likely to look for stamps in the book, rather than interrogate the BMW service history.

As posted previously, I'm prepared to have bespoke servicing done on my bike by the BMW dealer.

When the bike was 3 years old, I had an oil & filter service, not an annual service which was due at the time.
Later that year, both handlebar multi-function switches were change under warranty, one failed & was changed in Germany, the other in the UK.

In 2017, I had a bespoke service completed which included a F&R brake fluid change. In 2018, both front brake callipers were change under warranty.

In 2018, I had another oil & filter service only. Recently, had the bike at the dealers to diagnose why the exhaust flap wasn't working properly.
The investigation work was FOC, plus, on this occasion, the faulty servo motor wasn't covered under the warranty, nothing to do with service history.

To date, "touch wood", I've not had any warranty claims rejected due to my service regime.

Agreed, but unlikely to happen at a BMW dealer. All the stamps in my book are BMW ones.
Fair enough, if it works why knock it. As you say, a potential buyer will only be interested in stamps in the book, and if you can get the warranty to work as you do, even better! Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I have to agree with David put yourself in the place of the buyer , a recognized BMW Dealership will always give the potential buyer a lot more confidence that the bike has been serviced correctly .
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

What's the cost of the insured warranty over the 7 months you pay for it? What's the average cost you spend on servicing (bmw and independent) annually?.. Just wondering what it would all amount to over something like a 3 year period?.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:What's the cost of the insured warranty over the 7 months you pay for it?
£35 per month x 7 = £245.
simbo wrote:What's the average cost you spend on servicing (BMW and independent) annually.
An oil & filter change (labour only) is £60 at the BMW dealers. An independent charged me £28 last year to check the engine synchronisation, (every 6,000 miles).
simbo wrote:Just wondering what it would all amount to over something like a 3 year period?
The F&R brake fluid change at the BMW dealer is £60, (every 2 years). Over the last 3 years, I've spent just less than £300 on labour, plus parts.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

The £745 warranty cost and faff with the dealer wouldn't have been worthwhile for me with only 2 rear bulb failures over the last 3 years and 17k miles. 😁
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Paid my £60 today, got a "stamp in the book", good to go for another year or 6,000 miles.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Paid my £60 today, got a "stamp in the book", good to go for another year or 6,000 miles.

£60 for what?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:£60 for what?
Oil & filter change, labour only.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Oil & filter change, labour only.

Who supplied the sump plug washer? 😉
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:Who supplied the sump plug washer?
I did.