Screens Again!

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
PeteM

Re: Screens Again!

Post by PeteM »

LAF wrote:Not sure why you guys have it so bad on getting things through customs and such?  I have seen many others on this forum say the same thing.

That's the annoying thing, it's not always. I've ordered other stuff and two or three days later I get a message sent to me, I phone a number and give a credit card number,  or log on to a web site and do the same. Next day it is  delivered.

Of course anything we buy within Europe is (currently) dead easy, over the years I've bought loads of stuff mainly from Germany and Spain and often it is easier and faster than buying from 10 miles down the road

Thanks for the comments on other screens, will bear in mind if Marks screen is not right for me.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Where it normally goes wrong is the handoff between the US carrier and their UK partner. So I had a package last month from the US, the US carrier tracking number worked right up until it got to the UK Hub. Then there was nothing saying who they had handed off the package to or who was looking after the customs clearance. There was another tracking number, but no indication which company it belonged to. I then spent time, logging onto different UK courier companies trying to find one which recognised the tracking number. It was our wonderful Royal Mail, which then didn't show the package moving until it came up with failed delivery due to no customs payment, but at no point had they asked for one. So then I had to speak to Royal Mail, pay the customs duty, it then took 4 days for Royal Mail to deliver it, two days after I paid, Royal Mail put a card through the door, saying I had to pay customs duty. Nightmare :) To be fair though this only seems to happy if the US side use USPS. If they use FedEx or similar they handle the whole thing to delivery. Anyway back to the Werks screen thing, Terry obviously used a decent carrier as it all went without a hitch, but that was 5 years ago.

I no longer buy anything from the States :)
Last edited by Casbar on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

That sounds remarkably like my experience that put me off ordering from the States that I described above
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

PeteM wrote: The obvious choice is one of the Werks Quiet Comfort screens but I cannot find a European supply and I'm nervous of buying from the US owing to problems with shipping and getting caught for import duty in the past so I'm looking at alternatives. I've looked at the Ztechnik Vstream Quantum which might fit the bill but I cannot find any reviews. What ever I go for I would prefer to avoid the barn door screens if possible.

Any advice?

First, let me thank BMW for putting the "sport screen" on some of the new RT's! I have sold a LOT of my Quiet Ride screens to replace those!

Yes, it is a hassle to deal with importing....anything. Especially in the UK. For reasons I don't understand, they take much longer and are much more apt to have poor service from Customs than any other European delivery.

I cannot guarantee a perfect, quick delivery. What I will guarantee is satisfaction with the WERKS Quiet Ride. I am the owner of the company. You would deal with me and only me. I keep my prices low as possible, which when you compare everything makes the cost not much different than a screen that can be bought in country.

I know the performance difference. Because my butt is the one that done all the testing with the Quiet Ride and other brands. It is worth the hassle compared to the others. I am a very small company, I work with a partner that has quality control values equal to mine. While other companies make really good products, they may hit or miss on some models as far as how much they work to get them right. I sell ONE screen. BMW RT 2014+. It is as perfect as I can get them for all around use.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Terry, still very happy with my screen, which is now on my 1250  8)
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

My Quiet Ride took 2 days to get to the UK then 2 weeks to be finally delivered due to Royal Fail issues. Well packaged and no damge, £36 duty to pay.
I then fitted it and went on a 1700 mile trip into France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I was looking forward to the test as I've been suffering from wind turbulance from the BMW Comfort screen since I got the 1200 in 2014. The Quiet Ride totally sorted it. I am 6'6" tall with a 34" inside leg/seam. I didn't have to have the screen fully up to remove the wind noise which meant I didn't have to look through the top of the screen either.On one day trip the temperature varience was 1'c to 29'c. I did find the screen worked a little too well in the valleys when the temperatures were higher and reduced cooler airflow.Over all very happy. Althogh expensive it does what I want and need so that isn't an issue. Terry was very good so thank you  :)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Try this.  The jury-rigged handle allows you to lean backwards against your load, etc.  It puts you well below the slipstream and lets you lower your screen to reduce drag and buffeting you feel with a higher position.  Better aerodynamics also means better fuel economy, with the added benefit that the lowered screen is less susceptible to strong side winds, both giving greater stability at speed and reducing stress on the screen and especially the, believe me, very fragile attachments between the screen and the fairing. I personally did it because it eliminated the back pain caused by the upright position the stock handlebars demand.  It also allows you to vary your arse position, changing which bits are bearing the load;  very useful on a long day of touring.  Just get a shelf bracket, bore it out, getter a slightly longer bar-end bolt, cover with a vacuum cleaner (hoover) hose (pack it solid) and Robert's your mother's brother.

Attachments
HANDLEBAR.jpg
Last edited by jackronner on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.