R1250RT brake fault

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Re: R1250RT brake fault

Post by bandytales »

Douglas wrote: Hi Rick B, thanks for the video. I will dismantle my callipers this week and see if they have the same problem.

!Why would you even consider dismantling your calipers when the bike is brand new and under warranty! Surely if this concerns you, you should be beating your way to your dealer's door?
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Bandytales,

The reason being that my dealer has already changed the calliper and the problem persists. I would like to know if the calliper pistons are leaking brake fluid, which means that BMW is not only installing faulty brake callipers from factory but is also supplying faulty brake callipers as replacements.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Douglas wrote: Hi Bandytales,

The reason being that my dealer has already changed the calliper and the problem persists. I would like to know if the calliper pistons are leaking brake fluid, which means that BMW is not only installing faulty brake callipers from factory but is also supplying faulty brake callipers as replacements.

So why not take the bike back to them with the dirty marks?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Douglas wrote: Hi Bandytales,

That is a bit of a leap thinking they are fitting faulty replacement callipers, nobody else who have had the callipers replaced have had the same problem again. What does brake dust have to do with leaking callipers. If the callipers are leaking, you will see the fluid, its wet. Brake dust doesn't come from leaking callipers.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

That's the thing, I checked the interior of the replacement calliper with tissue paper (which is very absorbant) and it came out with brown brake fluid stains mixed with black brake dust. Seems to me that there must be some sort of leakage inside the calliper.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Douglas wrote: That's the thing, I checked the interior of the replacement calliper with tissue paper (which is very absorbant) and it came out with brown brake fluid stains mixed with black brake dust. Seems to me that there must be some sort of leakage inside the calliper.

I would take it back to your dealers then, but if you do take the calliper off, take some pics if there is a leak. Like I said, I have seen no reports on any other forum or facebook of a replacement calliper leaking on any GS GSA or RTs, so this is potentially very worrying for those that have had replacements.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Shaun Smoak briefly describes a test for leaking Hayes calipers in this video. It starts at around 10:44

https://youtu.be/I9Nlg4YxkMI

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Malcvtr on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Took bike to dealer on Monday as both front callipers are leaking fluid. Called them up today and their reply was that they are waiting for a reply from the technical department :eek: . I am putting pressure on them to release the bike back to me, as the bike is rideable (it's just a matter of cleaning the rims after use) but they want to keep it until they receive an answer. They claim safety issues are at stake. Let's hope this saga gets sorted soon, we are having really good biking weather round here.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Douglas wrote: they want to keep it until they receive an answer. They claim safety issues are at stake.

Have they supplied you with a courtesy bike?

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

your not having much luck with those callipers. Mine have been fine with no issues. I am surprised they replaced one of them and its faulty again, haven't read that anywhere else.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

[size=0px]Have they supplied you with a courtesy bike?[/size][size=0px]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]No, I haven't asked them for a courtesy bike yet.  They say they are waiting for the technical department to give them a reply. Will go to the dealers on Monday and have a nice civilised chat with them. Don't see why I cannot have my bike back if they have done all the tests on the bike and they are just waiting for a reply from the technical department. Will update on Monday.[/size]
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Douglas wrote: ...... Don't see why I cannot have my bike back if they have done all the tests on the bike and they are just waiting for a reply from the technical department. Will update on Monday.

Maybe they're concerned that the technical report could come back saying this is a safety issue as the brakes may catastrophically fail.  They then wouldn't look very clever if they had allowed you to carry on riding.
Unlikely, I know, but ......
I would always ask for a courtesy bike as a matter of principle (and I like riding other bikes  ;D )
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote:
Maybe they're concerned that the technical report could come back saying this is a safety issue as the brakes may catastrophically fail.  They then wouldn't look very clever if they had allowed you to carry on riding.
Unlikely, I know, but ......
I would always ask for a courtesy bike as a matter of principle

+ 1 to both comments.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Gogs01. Got my bike back from the dealer yesterday. Nothings been done to it except that they accept they have to change both front callipers. Apparently there are only left hand (Modified) callipers in stock and the right hand ones will not be available until the end of December or early January 2020 :not: . No point in having the bike at the dealers. In the meantime I will carry on using my bike and keep an eye on the brake fluid leakage, making sure that it doesn't get any worse. To be honest the leakage is so small that it is hardly noticeable. The brakes work perfectly and it is just a matter of having to clean the wheel rims with water, every time I go on a ride. 
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

OK, thanks for the update.  :)
It does still feel odd, that you could potentially set off on a multi-thousand mile trip with a bike sufficiently "faulty" that both front brake calipers are going to be replaced as soon as replacements are available.
I'm guessing that you won't be doing many miles and it isn't therefore going to be a serious issue, but my default position in cases such as this would be to ask for a replacement bike. This keeps you "safe" and would tend to speed up the replacement process.
However, it is of course your call and you will be able to spend time polishing and admiring your beautiful machine.  :thumbs:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE