Cylinder head protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Cylinder head protection

Post by hammo »

Head covers will only protect the covers if you lose your balance and the bike catches you out thats all , obviously if you want full protection in the event you drop your bike you will require engine protection bars and pannier protection for the rear , Illium Works demonstrate their bars on you tube with an actual drop of the bike (Ouch!!!) but they obviously do the job but they are not cheap .
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

The slightly odd thing about that video is that they don't show you the bike after it's been picked up.  Still, I'm sure everything was OK  ^-^
R2K

Post by R2K »

R1250 MACHINEART

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Attachments
IMG_1463.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

I have also installed the MachineartMoto X-Head.  They look great, don't seem to cause any heat problems (the valve covers don't get HOT anyway), and I did extensive research to ensure whether it's a tip over or low side slide out (don't ask), they will more than protect the magnesium valve covers from bleeding out engine oil.

Installation was a breeze, ~30 min. for both sides.

-Bob
Norcal1

Post by Norcal1 »

I also went with MachineartMoto X-Head for my 1250RT and they look fantastic. Went on a ride this weekend with another RT who had the crash bars and he said he is taking them off and puting on the X-Head. They just look so much better on the RT than crash bars. Moto-X  has a video also on there drop results. It is all ones choice, just glad there are choices.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Norcal1 wrote: I also went with MachineartMoto X-Head for my 1250RT and they look fantastic. Went on a ride this weekend with another RT who had the crash bars and he said he is taking them off and puting on the X-Head. They just look so much better on the RT than crash bars. Moto-X  has a video also on there drop results. It is all ones choice, just glad there are choices.

It's about protection not looks. Great there are choices.
R2K

Post by R2K »

Casbar wrote:
It's about protection not looks. Great there are choices.
It’s actually about both, with a priority on protection.  I always consider the esthetics when adding Farkles considering function first.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

R2K wrote: It’s actually about both, with a priority on protection.  I always consider the esthetics when adding Farkles considering function first.

Well there you go then. i consider protection first and the cost if I drop the bike over the looks. My Illium bars look fine and I know they will work as the owner has a vid showing the bike being dropped on the Illium site. Had cylinder head protectors only on my 2014 but I bought that used. So on my new bike I decided to go with bars. Can anyone post a vid of a bike being dropped with just cylinder head protectors on for comparison.
R2K

Post by R2K »

Casbar wrote:
Well there you go then. i consider protection first and the cost if I drop the bike over the looks. My Illium bars look fine and I know they will work as the owner has a vid showing the bike being dropped on the Illium site. Had cylinder head protectors only on my 2014 but I bought that used. So on my new bike I decided to go with bars. Can anyone post a vid of a bike being dropped with just cylinder head protectors on for comparison.
8 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXQs5lRr ... e=youtu.be

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

R2K wrote: 8 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXQs5lRrKk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, but that isn't an RT with all the plastic and panniers. Just for clarity, I'm not bothered what anyone fits to their bikes its a personal choice, I'm just interested if the cylinder head protectors would help with damage to the plastic and panniers, I understand they will protect the cylinders.
Last edited by Casbar on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote:
Thanks, but that isn't an RT with all the plastic and panniers. Just for clarity, I'm not bothered what anyone fits to their bikes its a personal choice, I'm just interested if the cylinder head protectors would help with damage to the plastic and panniers, I understand they will protect the cylinders.

My 2014 RT with BMW head protectors dropped very awkwardly on a downward car park ramp - top box on, no panniers. There were 4 points of contact  - the replaceable black plastic insert on the head guards (replaced cheaply),the LH bar end (touched in with paint stick & rotated so that it count not be seen),the underside of the passenger grab rail (touched in with paint stick) and the rear light unit (which I replaced since it was chipped). So this time I have gone with crash bars.....
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall