Throttle modes?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Little-Brit

Re: Throttle modes?

Post by Little-Brit »

I think the answer is rather more simple.  I suspect that all three modes use the same fuel mapping, the suck - squeeze - bang - blow bit changes in response to temperature, altitude, power requirement etc, not mode setting.

What is being changed is not the fuel map but the response rate of the throttle butterflies to the rate of twist grip rotation. 

With a normal cable system turning the throttle half way opens the butterflies to their midway position and at the rate that you move at.

In rain mode that 50% may only give you 30% and with possibly a slower opening rate than you are asking for.

In road you get the 50% expected, pretty much when you expect it.

In dynamic that 50% might give you say 70% throttle open and rather more quickly than a cable type would normally do.

In all modes 100% throttle is achievable, it's just the getting there that is different.

And you can certainly feel that difference when riding.

Of course BMW also choose to alter the suspension, ABS and traction control settings too (although you can set them for your own preference).  It all seems to work very well and certainly suits my style of motorcycle use as I am happy to use all of the modes at various times depending on weather, journey and mood. I love it. 

Pope

Post by Pope »

Pope wrote:
Ok, its raining now, so in the interest of science, i'm gonna put her in Rain Mode for my ride home from work on shitty country B roads (no i haven't tried Rain Mode since the remap).

So i'll report back later hopefully. BTW, i only ever tried Rain Mode once and it was horrible and laggy and unresponsive.

Right, used Rain Mode for the ride home...and, its very different now. and i much much better, and i perfect for town/slippery roads.

After the remap, there is hardly any of that nasty laggy throttle.  Its almost as responsive as Road Mode mode, but just a tad softer. Perfect for filtering, or greasy roads.

I Think i'll be using this for gentle 2 up urban riding now.

Remap.....approved.  ;)

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Little-Brit wrote: I think the answer is rather more simple. I suspect that all three modes use the same fuel mapping, the suck - squeeze - bang - blow bit changes in response to temperature, altitude, power requirement etc, not mode setting.
What is being changed is not the fuel map but the response rate of the throttle butterflies to the rate of twist grip rotation.
With a normal cable system turning the throttle half way opens the butterflies to their midway position and at the rate that you move at.
In rain mode that 50% may only give you 30% and with possibly a slower opening rate than you are asking for.
In road you get the 50% expected, pretty much when you expect it.
In dynamic that 50% might give you say 70% throttle open and rather more quickly than a cable type would normally do.
In all modes 100% throttle is achievable, it's just the getting there that is different.
And you can certainly feel that difference when riding.
Of course BMW also choose to alter the suspension, ABS and traction control settings too (although you can set them for your own preference). It all seems to work very well and certainly suits my style of motorcycle use as I am happy to use all of the modes at various times depending on weather, journey and mood. I love it.
No it is not so. I did explicitly asked if the ratio between accelerator twist and throttle butterflies opening is also altered by the riding modes and the answer was a plain no, only the fuel map changes.
charliektm400exc

Post by charliektm400exc »

Rusty-pie wrote: No it is not so. I did explicitly asked if the ratio between accelerator twist and throttle butterflies opening is also altered by the riding modes and the answer was a plain no, only the fuel map changes.

That's funny. I rode an RT at a BMW organised test ride week.  The BMW guy that was leading the ride specifically said dynamic mode adjusts the speed with which the throttle opens, and that the road and dynamic mode have exactly the same fuel maps.

One of them must be wrong.
Little-Brit

Post by Little-Brit »

I'm very late to this party but just a quick comment on modes:

As I understand it the maximum power output is the same in all modes it is merely the rate at which it is applied that changes; gradually in rain mode, proportionally in road mode and quick action style in dynamic mode. 

The suspension, traction control and ABS all get tweaked too!
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Step 2534, I share your belief.  I think that anyone on a bike who's ever been saved by ABS straight and true stopping power will lose some of the cautionary memories of those old panic stop experiences where you're almost sideways on the road.  I know that when ABS first came out for cars, the California highway patrol noted that, in snowy conditions, a high percentage of accidents occurred with ABS drivers feeling they could speed with impunity.  I was white-knuckling it in the back seat of such a driver, and it was only a 6 foot snowbank that saved us from going off-road in a curve  (ABS won't help you against lateral g-forces in a turn).  Similarly, self-parking cars have led to an erosion of parking skills, and perhaps the "radar" warnings and automatic stopping will lead to  driers' attention to hazards, pedestrians, etc.  "The car will take care of it".  Bikes are so much more inherently dangerous that the lessening of our fear of injury (or worse: hurting our precious beauties) and an increasing tech-driven overconfidence in our safety, could lead to bad results on the road.  I know that once I got my RT, I was more cautious for fear of damaging my expensive beauty of a bike than I had been in my old, cheaply replaceable, beaters.  And god help us if we have to ride an old, low tech, bike, or if our safety systems should fail without our notice. 
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

step2534 wrote: This isn't been negative (well it probably is) but don't you think in all reality that all these different driving modes are taking skills away from the rider ??
Surely your right hand controls speed and how you apply it.
Common sense usually says if its raining or the roads are crappy then the throttle isn't yanked open as it would be if they are dry.
Does anyone else think that the basic skills are been taken away?? I do
I know this isn't exactly the same but I watched Air Crash Investigation the other day and a plane crashed because both engines exploded.
Basically the engines started to burble cos of ice ingestion, the pilot throttled back but the clever computer throttled up blowing them up Makes you wonder .
Just my twopenny worth :whistle: :whistle:
I agree!