Help - Fitting a road safety camera to my RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Gogs11uk

Help - Fitting a road safety camera to my RT

Post by Gogs11uk »

Hi guys, Newbie on here. Been looking through the forums especially surrounding the canbus wiring system. I'm finding the more I read, the mre confused I'm getting.

What I'm wanting to do is hardwire in a Roadhawk Ride R+ Moto edition and I think I have two options open to me but I'm not sure if either will have any effect on the canbus system and show a fault when all done. Well here goes my options:~
1. wires straight fro the battery to a relay and then onto the camera. A switched feed to be taken off the fairing mounted power socket to the relay. Not bothered if this is still powered for a short period as long as it shuts off completely so it doesn't run down the battery.
2. wires again straight from the battery to a relay and then onto the camera. A switched feed taken from the fitted Garmin GPS(Not sure how it's wired as yet)
Do you think this is the way to go as from what I've read so far and my understanding of it all, this should not interfere with the canbus and give me a fault light.

Any advice welcomed as I'm hoping to wire this in the next couple of days or so as I'm not back to work till Sunday now.
Thanks in advance.
Gordie
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Help - Fitting a road safety camera to my RT

Post by exportman »

Hi

I have a different camera to you but have wired it as per your no 1  it has worked for me for the last 3 years without problem.  Its easy to do.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Thanks for the quick response bud. I had how I thought t should be done in my mind but this is my first experience with canbus systems so there was a nagging doubt there as well.

Looks like I know what I'll be doing today or tomorrow then. It's -2c here at the moment with a freezing fog, so might wait till it warms up a bit.
Appreciated
Gordie
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Camera fit short lived. Went out to the bike this morning to fit and wire the camera but the bike wouldn't start to move it. Solenoid clicking away. All accessories turned off and still just clicking. Checked the batery voltage by mem=ter and it shows 12.8v plugged in my charger with connections direct to the battery and after about 2 minutes it shows as fully charged. Charger taken off and old battery connected up with jump leads. Bike put in gear and rocked back & fore in case it was a stuck starter but no change. Bike started first press of the button with the extra battery fitted. Think there might be a bad cell in the battery stopping enough power getting from the battery to the starter but thought this would have shown up with a reduced voltage when checking the battery.
Any ideas????
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

How old is the battery?
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Gogs11uk wrote:Think there might be a bad cell in the battery stopping enough power getting from the battery to the starter but thought this would have shown up with a reduced voltage when checking the battery.
At 12.8v, the voltage may appear ok with no load on the battery. What does the voltage drop to when trying to start the bike.
Last edited by David. on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Hi guys, Not sure how old the battery is as I only bought the bike a couple of months ago. To be honest during the time I've had it, I thought it should turn over quicker than it does.
Not checked the voltage when starting it but something I can check in the morning. I'll get back with the info
Thanks guys.Gordie
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I have the same camera, option 1 but no relay required on mine. HTH, when you get your starting problem fixed.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Well then, went out this morning and the bike started no problem whatsoever. Not a fast turnover but it did start on the first press of the button. So, carried on and got the camera wired in. I suppose I could really have done without the relay as the camera has a switchable lead but in the end it was easier to use the relay. ended up taking one side of the fairing and the dash party to bits but it was a lot easier than i thought it would be to do. All up and running now thankfully.
Thanks guys for your assistance. I'll probably end up getting a new battery at some point but I'll keep it on the tender meantime just in case.