Top case

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Tom Rapp

Top case

Post by Tom Rapp »

Hey everyone,

I am new to BMW and this forum.
I really enjoy riding the R1200RT the last part of this summer. I haven't owned a street bike in 40 years or so. I do own 10 motocross bikes so I am certainly not new to motorcycles and my hobby is restoring these bikes.
My question is about the luggage cases on these bikes.  My bike came with the two side cases but no top case. I found a top case with many scratches and the 2 side cases have scuffs and scratches too so I want to get them painted, I have the top case sitting in front of me and cannot figure out how to get the outer shell separated from the inner black shell.
Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Top case

Post by Graham88 »

Remove all of the screws on the inside that are all plainly visible and then there are two nuts hidden under the handle/lever. Remove those (and the handle/lever) and the inner should detach.
R2K

Post by R2K »

We would like to help.  First there are many top box’s that would work with your R1200RT both OEM and aftermarket.  A picture would really help to identify which Topbox you have.  Also the model year of your R1200RT will help narrow the options down. Unless it’s an aftermarket Topbox most of the time you would not separate the outer shell from the inter black plastic liner.  To paint it normally you would remove the back rest pad screws are located on the inside of the lid.  Then remove the top lid by taking it apart at the hinges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ktmadventure450 wrote:I have the top case sitting in front of me and cannot figure out how to get the outer shell separated from the inner black shell.
This thread from BMWLT seems to suggest you don't, https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... apart.html
Tom Rapp

Post by Tom Rapp »

Thank you, It seems better if I just tape everything off to paint it instead of trying to get it apart.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I painted my top case and to do so I just separated the bottom and top, a bunch of screws at the hinges and then just taped off the rest.  Took a bit to tape everything off but worked just fine and seemed easier than trying to take the entire thing apart.