Brake Light Modulator for 2014 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
dleasman

Brake Light Modulator for 2014 RT?

Post by dleasman »

[size=2px]Hi All,[/size]

I have just purchased a 2014 RT, and would like to install a brake light modulator, like what I installed on my Aprilia's LED top case brake light. This is something I really like to have, and I notice them immediately on other bikes on the road. IMO, these are a highly effective safety feature to help get the attention of anyone behind. The modulator is very inexpensive, and just goes inline to brake light. Flashes a few times very fast, then 2 slower blinks before staying on as normal. When stopped at a traffic light, and a car is coming up from behind, I often just tap the brake a a couple times, for several flashes.

Question: How does the tail light remove to access wiring? OR, it there a better way to get at the wiring? Is there any reason that this is not a good idea on the 2014 RT?

I had searched the forum for posts relating to this, but was unable to find any information.

Also, this is my first post here, as I am a brand new member, located in Mankato, MN, USA.

Thanks,
-Dana
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake Light Modulator for 2014 RT?

Post by Casbar »

Not sure about just fitting a modulator for the brake light as fitted. I fitted the Skene P3 brake lights on my 2014 and ran those from the model provided with the kit. Now running the same lights on my 1250 from a can smart.
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

I fitted a visi-tec supabrake 3 to my 2011 RT. Pretty much a simple job. Rear brake cluster comes off with two screws. Plug and play. Adjustments for flashing speed, degrade speed and others. Great for red light flash for upcoming rear Enders.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I dont' think I would try to fit a modulator to the stock brake light. Might be easy to do, or not. But dealing with CanBus wiring means it isn't always what it appears. Especially when you want to splice.

Another thumbs up for Skene lighting on the rear and front!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Seattle1260
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
United States of America

Post by Seattle1260 »

I have a 2015 RT and purchased a BMW CAN bus compatible Vizi-tec "Supabrake 2" brake light modulator. When I ordered it, I specified the bike and it came with the correct BMW plugs. This allowed me to disconnect the plug from the bike to the lights and insert this in line with the existing wiring with no adapter, cutting, or splicing.  There are 25 flashing profiles to choose from and it was fairly easy to program. There is also a "Supabrake 3" which seems to be identical but it gives you 108,000 profiles (for me, not worth the extra $25). 

Realshelby brings up a very good point but thankfully, I have not had a single CAN bus issue and I've been using it for 4 years.