Nav v time

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Nav v time

Post by BoB21 »

Anybody having proplems with nav v time.? In UK and clock hasnt reset to winter time.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav v time

Post by David. »

Is this thread from BMWMOA any help, https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... -Year-2000
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Same here even though the nav V was set to "auto time". Manual jobbie did it.
:)
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Yes, mine currently shows 2 Apr 2000. I don’t think it affects the nav function of the unit but will follow the topic in the event of a fix from Garmin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Okay thanks for quick response will email garmin
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Yep showing april 2000. Have reset time manually thanks beejay. Need to check dates when planning routes. Or not use dates.
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

Tried my Nav V yesterday on my 2016 RT & date/time were correct on the bike after a couple of minutes till GPS connected to sat's.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

bighopper wrote: Tried my Nav V yesterday on my 2016 RT & date/time were correct on the bike after a couple of minutes till GPS connected to sat's.

That's what my Nav 6 did too.  I had the Nav 5 before that and don't remember ever having to adjust the time so it must grab that info once it has found satellites.  I might be wrong, but I think the bike's clock feeds from that too?
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

This is distinctly odd. A GPS needs a very precise time in order to work out where it is. It detects the time lags from the various satellites to work out how far it is from each one. So even an error of one second would cause a miscalculation of many miles. An error of 19 years would put you way beyond Proxima Centauri!
DW
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Dee Dub wrote: This is distinctly odd. A GPS needs a very precise time in order to work out where it is. It detects the time lags from the various satellites to work out how far it is from each one. So even an error of one second would cause a miscalculation of many miles. An error of 19 years would put you way beyond Proxima Centauri!

It is certainly bl**dy annoying that the time is indeed correct (apart from GMT/BST issue) but the date is wrong. The software has counted 1024 weeks from some fixed datum and rolled back to week 0 (or 1) to calculate date.
John Bentall
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you phone Garmin's support and tell them the date is out they will put you on the mailing list for when a update is available, as for the time untick auto box and manual set for the time being
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Pete wrote: If you phone Garmin's support and tell them the date is out they will put you on the mailing list for when a update is available, as for the time untick auto box and manual set for the time being
Much, much easier to do on their website. No holding, no computer voices. 

Go to https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?produ ... pics.  Enter your info and you are on the list for notification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pete wrote: If you phone Garmin's support and tell them the date is out they will put you on the mailing list for when a update is available, as for the time untick auto box and manual set for the time being

Think that is just a holding comment, I would be surprised if they mail you if a fix is ready. I phoned up and spoke to someone, they said they were aware of the problem, they didn't ask me for any details or the serial number of the Nav, so how will they know to mail me? There are 1000's now with this issue all over Europe and the US. Some in the US have had their Vs replaced, which kind of indicates its not a software fix, hope I'm wrong on that one, because if its hardware we will be stuffed in the UK. Luckily the V I have is off another bike and my main Nav is a VI which is fine.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

F Y I just updated express and Nav 5 jumped in Tardis and now back in 2019 and on time. Hooray
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Express at 6.19.3.0
Maps at 2020.20
Time okay but still in 27th April 2000
?