Clearwater LED Spots - fitment

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
UKDucatiman

Clearwater LED Spots - fitment

Post by UKDucatiman »

Spent Saturday morning fitting a set of the excellent Clearwater Darla spot lights to my 2012 RT. There is a bit of panel removal and wiring into the loom (high, low beam and horn) but the fitting kit comes with some handy posi-twist connectors which makes the wiring task nice and easy. Via some bracketry the lights fit to the front mudguard locators giving the classic 'V configuration' look (headlamp plus the two spots). You also get a volume control for the brightness (fitted to ‘pop-out’ panel where all the audit buttons would fit). What's really cool is the optional circuitry which puts the spots on full power when either the high beam flash or horn is activated. Not a cheap option, but what price safety.[/font][/color]
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taz

Re: Clearwater LED Spots - fitment

Post by Taz »

I have the same lights fitted to my 2016 1200RT and I agree that they are fantastic.

One word of caution - I had the bike MOT’d recently and the tester said that it was illegal to have the spot lights flashing with the horn (I also had yellow filters on the spots and he failed those as well).

Otherwise, they are brilliant - literally.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Taz wrote: I have the same lights fitted to my 2016 1200RT and I agree that they are fantastic.

One word of caution - I had the bike MOT’d recently and the tester said that it was illegal to have the spot lights flashing with the horn (I also had yellow filters on the spots and he failed those as well).

Otherwise, they are brilliant - literally.

Thanks for the info Taz. I've made a note to disconnect that feature prior to next years MOT! But why would that be illegal, I thought it was great safety feature. Will it still apply after Brexit  ;)
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

I've installed Clearwater Darla lights on my 2015 R1200RT and wife's F800GT.  And I agree that they are "brilliant" and a bit "pricey" but well worth the cost.  Several motorists have come up to me and told me, "now I can really see motorcycles on the road".  We both run the amber lenses during the day and take them off at night.  For my RT, the system connects to my CAN Bus so operation is with the "wonder wheel".  The GT has a separate control for brightness which I mounted on the left handlebar cluster.  Both installations were quite easy and all the necessary instructions and parts were labeled and included. 
Riding at night here in the Okanogan Highlands of WA. state, U.S. (mountain's and boardared by several Wilderness areas) the wildlife is abundant. And having those lights (sans filters at night) really lights up the road in front and to the sides.  Now I can really see the deer I'm about to greet/hit, (none so far, but....).  Customer service has been great and very personable.  We've had no problems with either light systems.
Cheers from the Okanogan Highlands of WA. State, U.S.