Replace low beam head light with LED on 2017 RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Joed

Replace low beam head light with LED on 2017 RT

Post by Joed »

am looking to replace my low beam headlight with a LED on a 2017 RT. Will this cause errors with canbus system? The description says canbus error free.
gogs01

Re: Replace low beam head light with LED on 2017 RT

Post by gogs01 »

Why not tell us exactly what it is you're thinking of buying ?
Someone might then be able to offer some specific advice .....
In general, it is possible to make an LED device "look" the same as the halogen bulb to the canbus system, thus fooling the bike to believing it still has the OE bulb in place.
This would likely mean not getting the full benefit of the electrical efficiency of LED v halogen and, of course, there is the possibility that the LED device will create practical difficulties in fitting it into the space vacated by the OE bulb.  If you're after a brighter light and a longer service life than a halogen bulb then it might still be worth the effort and expense of changing .....

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
CliveJ
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt lc. 2014
Great Britain

Post by CliveJ »

Just be aware that the headlight reflector is designed for halogen bulbs, led bulbs do not emit the light in the same way & you may well end up with an incorrect pattern thus failing the mot test not to mention upsetting oncoming motorists.  You would be better off fitting led driving lights.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Good thread here.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... ost1930131

Not sure of legality in the UK though
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

gogs01 wrote: Why not tell us exactly what it is you're thinking of buying ?
Someone might then be able to offer some specific advice .....
In general, it is possible to make an LED device "look" the same as the halogen bulb to the canbus system, thus fooling the bike to believing it still has the OE bulb in place.
This would likely mean not getting the full benefit of the electrical efficiency of LED v halogen and, of course, there is the possibility that the LED device will create practical difficulties in fitting it into the space vacated by the OE bulb. If you're after a brighter light and a longer service life than a halogen bulb then it might still be worth the effort and expense of changing .....
I fitted the Can Bus compatible Cyclops bulbs to my 2018 RT without issue and it gave a good beam pattern. However I did have to remove the whole headlight assembly in order to fit the three bulbs as it is a very, very tight fit.
Joed, whereabouts are you, anywhere near Reading? If so I can show you the set up off the bike as I have refitted the OEM bulbs into a new headlight assemble so I can sell the bike (long boring story!).
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.