Touring comfort on RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Re: Touring comfort on RT

Post by gogs01 »

Pickaxe wrote: Screens, seats, handlebar position and heat off the engine. Some motorcyclists would probably be better off in a car ;-)

+1 !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pickaxe wrote: Screens, seats, handlebar position and heat off the engine. Some motorcyclists would probably be better off in a car ;-)

Some motorcyclists have been riding continuously for over 50 years, ride all year around and now are a little bit more picky about comfort, it doesn't make them less of a motorcyclist.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Casbar wrote: Some motorcyclists have been riding continuously for over 50 years, ride all year around and now are a little bit more picky about comfort, it doesn't make them less of a motorcyclist.
Quite agree but you're talking about a very small minority.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pickaxe wrote: Quite agree but you're talking about a very small minority.

Never been in a minority before  8)
Little-Brit

Post by Little-Brit »

The screen on my R1250RT might not be perfect (I'd like a little more summer ventilation please) but aerodynamically it's pretty damned good.  I've done 4,000 miles on this bike now and 19,000 on my previous water-cooled R1200RT.

I'm 5' 7" with a 29 inside leg and therefore a fairly long trunk! I'd estimate that I only have to lift the screen about half way up to be sitting in a serenely quiet and calm bubble of air with a clear view over the top. Throw in a downpour of rain and at 70 mph barely any of it touches me at all. 

For me using the screen fully raised gives poorer performance.  I can barely see over the top of it and the air-flow is less comfortable.  A taller person might find the situation very different of course but just because it goes all the way up doesn't mean that's the right place for it to be on the motorway!

Dynamically the thing is rock solid in all normal weather conditions, solo or with pillion, and can be thrown around on the back roads with a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm (screen down!) as my sportier bike riding compatriots can confirm.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Little-Brit wrote: The screen on my R1250RT might not be perfect (I'd like a little more summer ventilation please) but aerodynamically it's pretty damned good.  I've done 4,000 miles on this bike now and 19,000 on my previous water-cooled R1200RT.

Sorry Little-Brit, but your OEM screen is rubbish when compared to some of the aftermarket screens out there.
Admittedly being short gives you a big advantage over most taller riders, but nonetheless, a good flip screen of the correct size will be even better, It can be left lower down giving better airflow and a good view over the top.

Little-Brit wrote:For me using the screen fully raised gives poorer performance.  I can barely see over the top of it and the air-flow is less comfortable.  A taller person might find the situation very different of course but just because it goes all the way up doesn't mean that's the right place for it to be on the motorway! 
  Absolutely agree. A raised screen is not what we really want. Hence the usefulness of a great screen with a well designed flip on the top.