Alternator failure

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
lolo28fr

Alternator failure

Post by lolo28fr »

Hi everybody

My 2015 RTLC has reached 115 000 km and encountered a sudden loss of onboard voltage. It has fallen from 14V to less than 12,2 V and going down. By the time I got home, it reached 10,8V, with the battery alarm first orange then red. I charged the battery overnight, but the problem remained.

This was the original battery, so I got a new one. Same thing.

I suspected the voltage regulator, so I changed it. Useless.

I started the engine with the alternator plug off, and tested the voltage between the 3 wires. 15 to 25 volts on 2 pairs, nothing on the last pair.

Seems like a coil is cut off  :ownzed:

I've found the stator on the RM-Stator Europe.

Has anyone suffered this kind of failure??

I fear I have to pull the engine off the bike to access the alternator ...

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Alternator failure

Post by David. »

lolo28fr wrote:Has anyone suffered this kind of failure.
Found this on BMWLT, "ALTERNATOR PROBLEM WET HEAD", https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... -head.html

Has the bike got a service history?
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

lolo28fr wrote:I fear I have to pull the engine off the bike to access the alternator.
Yes, it's an engine out job, "Dead alternator in R1200GS LC", https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... R1200GS-LC
lolo28fr

Post by lolo28fr »

Thanks for the links!

Guess I gonna do the engine out job myself, and take it with an OEM spare rotor to my local mechanics (not BMW). It will have to wait till january or february as I will long be out of home.

Thanks again for your help  ;)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Sorry to hear this.  While not too common and the 14 to 16/17 bikes age we are seeing more stators going.  It seems BMW upgraded them somewhere late 16 early 17 with a new one.  The old ones I have seen pictures of look like kids did the winding, I mean they were terrible.  And not sure but I think the oil bath of said stator was improved also I think with a different hole pattern on the flywheel.  I use the term loosely on oil bath as BMW has a different idea of oil bath then I knew growing up with various cars and motorcycles that used a bath method to cool and lubricate various parts.
lolo28fr

Post by lolo28fr »

Hi
Finally back and stuck at home due to covid  :ninja:

My local dealer does not agree to proceed as I wished. So I'm gonna do the job all by myself.

Just found the alignment pin on KFM-Motorräd and waiting for it, as it is needed to block the engine on the bottom dead center to pull apart the gear box.

I did not find any tutorial online. I bought the "Revue moto technique n°190" which is well illustrated.

I think I gonna make a video of the pulling out of the engine and the disassembling.

Will start as soon as I get the pin.

To be continued...