Swapping out left-side heated handle bar grip

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Swapping out left-side heated handle bar grip

Post by jackronner »

[size=78%]On my 2009 RT, the left grip heater isn't working, and I've had little success with my Haynes manual.  I have another RT I can cannibalize from. It seems from the manual that there is a connector to the element in the switch assembly. My plan is to check for continuity on the heating element side of the connector plug and, if absent, simply swap them out (I'll need advice on this later).  If the element's OK, and there's no continuity on the other side of the connector,  then I guess I'll have to trace and inspect the wires and connections to the central electronics unit.  [/size]

If I just want to swap the whole grip out, how do I remove it from the grip unit from the handlebars?  Is there a set screw under the switch housing or under the rubber grip, and is it accessible without cutting off the rubber grip?  I've seen a photo showing a tongue at the end of the heated grip with a screw hole that would allow me to just slide it off;  in other diagrams I don't see it, tho'.  Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Swapping out left-side heated handle bar grip

Post by David. »

Found this thread on the BMWMOA Forum, "How to Remove Heated Grips", https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... ated-Grips
Bobra

Post by Bobra »

My only experience is with a K1300S but if the RT is similar, there is a thin bolt running all the way through the hand grip and the bar just under the internal edge of the rubber grip.  The K bike had a Torx head to the bolt and a nut on the other side.  You have to peel back the rubber grip a little to access it.  The heater element is connected to the “system” inside the left multifunction switch.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bobra wrote:If the RT is similar, there is a thin bolt running all the way through the hand grip and the bar just under the internal edge of the rubber grip.
This parts diagram #1 or #3 is the LHS grip, would seem to confirm the above.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:I've seen a photo showing a tongue at the end of the heated grip with a screw hole that would allow me to just slide it off; in other diagrams I don't see it, tho'.
Hexhead

Camhead
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've got the left grip screws off and the switch housing exposed, only to find that there's an internal wire in the heated grip that runs down into the engine area, presumably to the central elect. unit (CEU).  Not one word in Haynes about where it is, and I assume that it will involve removing the tupperware and more on both bikes to effect the swap.

Now, don't get mad, but I'm thinking of going old school jury-rig style (if it offendeth me, cut it off) and just cutting the wire and splicing the wires between the switch unit and a some point under the handlebars.  From the pix David sent (BTW, where did you find that??) I reckon it's just a simple set of wires, positive and negative.  A lot simpler than disassembling half the bike.

Let me know what you think, especially if it's easier reaching the CEU than I imagine.  Happy Christmas to all.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:I assume that it will involve removing the tupperware and more on both bikes to effect the swap.
When removing the handlebar switches, the fuel tank needs to be removed for access to the connector. Looking at the length of the wire on the heated grip, the same may apply to them.
jackronner wrote:I'm thinking of just cutting the wire and splicing the wires between the switch unit and a some point under the handlebars. I reckon it's just a simple set of wires, positive and negative. A lot simpler than disassembling half the bike.
IMO, not a bad idea based on the amount of work involved (x2) on both bikes.
jackronner wrote:From the pic., where did you find that.
MAX BMW Parts, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsM ... d=07242017
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Success!  Wound up splicing the two fine wires from the hand grip, making sure to leave enough slack to make enough room under the bars to work in.  As I took off the old grip and wire, I taped a thin wire to the cut end, drawing it out thru the grip to draw the new wires back through the bars.  Of note: there is a screw that needs to be undone from the rear to take the left multi switch rear face off which is almost blocked by [size=5px]an add-on switch, for the ASC etc..[/size]  You have to remove the add-on to be able to open the main switch housing.  There is a screw inside the add-on that was unfastend on both the new and old bikes, that I believe was meant to screw the unit into the rear housing of the main switch, referred to above.  I prised open the add-on and removed the screw rather than have it possible fall into the electrics.  You could screw it onto the bars, but you'd have to disassemble the add-on to reach the screw head, and I've never had any problems with it, screwless, on either bike.  First take a look between the add-on and the main switch by gently separating them.  If it's only the normal rear screw you can undo it (you still have to remove two reall small allen-head - hex - screws on the bottom tongue of the add-on in order to remove the whole switch assembly.  Thanks for the input, and I look forward to a toasty left hand for a change.