Using Garmin cradle for iPhone

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Bernman

Using Garmin cradle for iPhone

Post by Bernman »

I would like to use my mobile for navigation on my 2013 1200RT, currently with a Garmin IV cradle.  I see there are adapters for mobile phone that will make this pretty easy but they don’t say it’s specifically compatible with ‘13 RTs or a Garmin IV.  Are the Garmin cradles identical in the IV, V, VI’s?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Using Garmin cradle for iPhone

Post by David. »

Bernman wrote:I would like to use my mobile for navigation on my 2013 1200RT, currently with a Garmin IV cradle.
Is this a Garmin or BMW Nav. IV cradle.

This is the 2013 TC set up with a BMW GPS Bracket & Garmin Mount.

Or, does the cradle look like this BMW one.

A Garmin Zumo 660 will fit into either cradle.
Bernman wrote:Are the Garmin cradles identical in the IV, V, VI’s?
From what I can see, all BMW Nav. IV, V & VI cradles are the same. This is also based on the fact that, as far as I know, the current RT cradles will accept any of the three BMW Nav's.

At the end of the day, the three BMW Nav's. are all made by Garmin.

Perhaps other owners can confirm which Nav. they have fitted, in which cradle, on which bike to back up this theory, thank you.
Bernman wrote:I see there are adapters for mobile phone that will make this pretty easy but they don’t say it’s specifically compatible with ‘13 RTs or a Garmin IV.
Is a photo or link available showing the adapter for the mobile phone to Nav. cradle.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

And there’s also this:
https://blackboxembedded.com
Bernman

Post by Bernman »

David, it’s like your second picture with the 4 buttons. I’m trying to figure out if something like this will work but the RT is not listed as compatible.  Sure looks like it might work
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bernman wrote:David, it’s like your second picture with the 4 buttons. I’m trying to figure out if something like this will work but the RT is not listed as compatible. Sure looks like it might work.
David. wrote:Is a photo or link available showing the adapter for the mobile phone to Nav. cradle.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Bernman wrote: I would like to use my mobile for navigation on my 2013 1200RT, currently with a Garmin IV cradle.  I see there are adapters for mobile phone that will make this pretty easy but they don’t say it’s specifically compatible with ‘13 RTs or a Garmin IV.  Are the Garmin cradles identical in the IV, V, VI’s?

Something like this should work in the 4-button mount. However the depth of the surround for the 4-buttons might be a concern. 

The extra depth of this mount for the 2014-on RT should raise it well above the 4 buttons.

You could buy both types and send one back. They are available on Amazon as well.

Hope this helps.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at these dimensions, they are very similar to those of a Garmin Zumo 660 which will fit into the BMW 4 button mount.

The extended version for the LC RT's will be to allow access to the USB sockets, which would otherwise be shrouded by the dash console.

At £24.02, it's also costs less than the one listed for a GS at £41.45.
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernman

Post by Bernman »

I missed your request for a pic...sorry about that.  I’ll get the 80mm tall bracket and see how it goes.  Thanks for the help and research.