The BEST motorcycle I have ever owned (and the WORST)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DavidMcK

The BEST motorcycle I have ever owned (and the WORST)

Post by DavidMcK »

Just posted this on the K16 forum that I am in.

The best about the K16

The ultimate motorcycle, probably the last six-cylinder motorcycle to be produced. It is agile (when moving) and constantly impresses both the rider and those accompanying the rider.
The bike has “Presence” it stands out from the crowd, its always a constant source of inquiry and inquisitiveness. Even non-bikers are impressed.
It has been a pleasure to own three of these majestic motorcycles and cover some 45,000 miles on them over a seven-year period.
It felt like I was “Going Back” to a RT having ridden such a superb motorcycle.

The bad about the K16

I have ridden motorcycles for 48 years and in all that time only one motorcycle has let me down.
I have never paid much attention to a temperature gauge. I know I have always had one on my motorcycles (I think). The gauge exists to tell you that the bike is warmed up so that you can check the oil, that’s it, as far as I am concerned The K16 first introduced me to its temperature gauge on the Grossglockner pass in the summer of 2013, from that point onward it became a fixture in my mind. I understand that some K16 riders have never experienced this, but I have, and its my experiences that count for me.

On the seven European trips taken on a K16, I have only been trouble free on two and that was when I fitted a Rad Guard to my 2015 bike.

The bike is heavy, that is good and bad. It’s good because it teaches you to be very, very careful when you stop and that’s a lesson for life. It’s bad because its so, so difficult to move. I am 5’ 8” with an inside leg of 29”. At the end I struggled to put it on the center stand, even with the suspension loaded up. Eventually, I put a plank under the back wheel. I never attempted to put it on its center stand when out with mates.

When I parked my 2017 K16GT Sport at a dealer in Plymouth, I felt sorry, it was like losing a friend.

Even a shinny 2019 R1250RT in Mars Red sitting waiting did not lift my mood.

Having ridden the R1250RT some 450 miles home, I have to say I am impressed. Its obvious where BMW have spend their development time over the last seven years, it is unrecognizable from the RT that I traded in for my first K16.

From the thumb screws to unfasten the rear seat, to the dash, fairing, gear box, center stand and of course engine. Everything is new and well thought out.

I can put this bike on its stand with a flick of my big toe. Its engine is so smooth I can even do the coin trick, i.e. balance a coin on the tank and start it and rev it.

Sorry to say this guys, but

The King is dead, long live the King.
AwesomeDad

Re: The BEST motorcycle I have ever owned (and the WORST)

Post by AwesomeDad »

Can you PM me I would like to further discuss the difference especially 2Up.

JJ
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: The BEST motorcycle I have ever owned (and the WORST)

Post by hammo »

I have to agree, having owned and ridden , Francis Barnett, Harley, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki I was a bit wary of purchasing a BMW however I tested three of them and purchased the BMW,RTLE and I have been very impressed, it looks big but is easy to manoeuvre , has great protection from the weather and all the necessary electronic aides , done 9000 mile last year and hope to cover even more this year , and one better point at my local dealer servicing is at a competitive price . ^-^