Question :- can anyone please tell me how to switch off my headlights ?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Copmeister

Post by Copmeister »

I've heard somewhere that its possible to turn off my headlights during the day by using a sequence involving the indicator switch. Can anyone please tell me how this is done ?
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Question :- can anyone please tell me how to switch off my headlights ?

Post by Nick Evans »

On my 2009 RT I pull the plug out of the cluster, it is really easy to do. (I have to do this because there is a fault on the ZFE which leaves the side lights on)
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Copmeister wrote: I've heard somewhere that its possible to turn off my headlights during the day by using a sequence involving the indicator switch. Can anyone please tell me how this is done ?
Welcome to the forum...

You didn’t specify what year R1200RT.

This is what I recall...works on some GS models and RTs depending on the year...

Turning the Headlights OFF

The procedure is as follows:

1. FIRST...Turn the ignition on and allow the startup-check cycle to complete; this takes a few seconds. The headlights will be off (this is normal).
2. THEN...Hold turn-signal cancel switch for 4-5 secs. Release.
3. NEXT...Hold right turn-signal switch for 4-5 secs. Release.
4. FINALLY...Start engine.

Headlights should remain OFF.  The headlights will be off, but the running lights and tail light will remain on.

This will reset next time you switch off the ignition.

I just verified this on my 2009 R1200RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Rangemaster, if you look under a poster's name and country, it usually shows the model/year.  Also, do you depress and hold the switches you mentioned in sequence, or simultaneously? 

Tho' I find it maddeningly difficult to change bulbs on my RT, I wouldn't advise you  to turn them off.  It has been shown, even with cars but especially with bikes, the incidence of accidents during the day goes down precipitously if your headlights are on.  I also put my brights on during the day when filtering thru traffic, all to make myself more visible.  I'd also recommend during a daytime fog to keep the brights on to announce your presence to cars and pedestrians. There is no blinding reflected light, and it may save your life if they can see you even if they're invisible to you.

In a related question, there are times when I want to leave the lights on at night for illumination for setting up a campsite at night, etc. without bothering others with the engine noise, but they automatically go off if you turn the key off.  Any way to keep them on with the engine off?
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

jackronner wrote: Rangemaster, if you look under a poster's name and country, it usually shows the model/year.  Also, do you depress and hold the switches you mentioned in sequence, or simultaneously? 

Tho' I find it maddeningly difficult to change bulbs on my RT, I wouldn't advise you  to turn them off.  It has been shown, even with cars but especially with bikes, the incidence of accidents during the day goes down precipitously if your headlights are on.  I also put my brights on during the day when filtering thru traffic, all to make myself more visible.  I'd also recommend during a daytime fog to keep the brights on to announce your presence to cars and pedestrians. There is no blinding reflected light, and it may save your life if they can see you even if they're invisible to you.

In a related question, there are times when I want to leave the lights on at night for illumination for setting up a campsite at night, etc. without bothering others with the engine noise, but they automatically go off if you turn the key off.  Any way to keep them on with the engine off?
The poster’s info doesn’t show up...at least when using the Tapatalk app on an iOS device.

I use the headlight-off sequence when I’m working on the bike and need the engine running.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Rangemaster:  The OP's info shows up on my laptop, so maybe your device won't show it.  I noticed that info isn't shown under your handle, but you can modify your profile to show it if you want.  I suggested this feature to the administrator when I joined, and it makes things a lot easier.  Again, tho', is your lights protocol sequential or simultaneous?
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Just tested and edited the procedure I show above in post #3...

It works in Oregon, so it should work in California lol.

Last edited by rangemaster728 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:In a related question, there are times when I want to leave the lights on at night, but they automatically go off if you turn the key off. Any way to keep them on with the engine off?
"With the engine switched off, you can switch on the lights by switching on the high-beam headlight with the ignition switched on or by operating the headlight flasher."
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Rangemaster and David. Useful stuff.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:"With the engine switched off, you can switch on the lights by switching on the high-beam headlight with the ignition switched on or by operating the headlight flasher."
Perhaps as expected, on a 2012 TC, this action only switches on the (centre) high-beam, not the low-beam on either side.

Slightly deceptive when the instruction in the Rider's Manual follows, "The low-beam headlight switches on automatically when you start the engine".
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Reporting back:  Rangemaster's procedure works on my 2009RT, but David's for keeping headlights on with engine off only works for the bright beam.  Still, the bright is so little used that it's the last to burn out, so it's probably for the best if your battery's in good shape.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The low & high beam bulbs are all the same H7 / 55W.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David, yeah but I mean your center bulb is on only a tiny fraction of the time as the others, so if you have to wear out a filament (not TWO of them), might as well use the one that will last for years. Am I wrong to suppose that, once the center light dies (its unused low beam filament never used)  could be fitted as a replacement for the side headlights?  This hasn't come up for me yet.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Am I wrong to suppose that, once the center light dies (its unused low beam filament never used) could be fitted as a replacement for the side headlights?
The H7 bulbs fitted to both low (side x2) and high (centre) beams are all single filament. Once blown, the bulb needs to be replaced.

pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

jackronner wrote:
+1