Tank Switch Error

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
paulgelineau

Tank Switch Error

Post by paulgelineau »

I have a 2015 R1200RT and have a Tank Switch Error Code: 80401.  Before the error the fuel filler cap could not be opened with the engine running, or, if engine was off, with out the key fob being present.  Now it can be opened at any time.  The only other symptom I've noticed is that occasionally when starting it will quit and then erase all my pre-programed settings on the display.  And then start again normally, minus the former display settings.  I just redo the display settings and off I go.  Other than that, no other issues are present.
My concern is that if I get locked out from starting it somewhere after a rest stop in the Okanogan Highlands of WA. State, USA (where I live).  My nearest BMW dealer is a 3 hour ride and I imagine they would just delete the controller code and load a new one.  Probably for lots of $$$'s. 
Advice??
Cheers,
P.R. Gelineau,
Okanogan Highlands, WA. State, USA
R2K

Re: Tank Switch Error

Post by R2K »

Check your battery connections, in particular the ground making sure they are tight.  You may be having a battery failing when under heavy load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gogs01

Re: Tank Switch Error

Post by gogs01 »

I'm reviving this thread because I have similar symptoms to those reported by paulgelineau.
To be clear, my bike has central locking and keyless ignition (if that makes any difference).

My plan is to replace the battery (3 1/2 years old and 35,000 miles).  I'm assuming the current battery is beginning to fail and the voltage drop when starting is now excessive.  I hope the new battery will cure the need to restore my settings after starting. I'll check all the connections I can reach during the change-out.
As for the fuel filler cap, I'll check that again after I've replaced the battery and see if that fault has cleared.  That's not a major issue, but it's nice to have things working the way they should.
It would be nice to know if [size=1em]paulgelineau managed to resolve his issues.[/size]
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE