Going from new to old RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Wizzle

Re: Going from new to old RT

Post by Wizzle »

Thanks David - they're basically the 2 bikes I was talking about. I had no idea you could pull an MOT like that, that's brilliant! I've just discoved my Defender passed its MOT last Tuesday, so I have no idea why they garage haven't returned it yet...

That 2013 is my current favourite based on nothing more than its advert. I'm not going to get to see many of these, but being able to find the MOT advisories is hugely helpful. Even more armchair research coming!

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Wizzle wrote:That 2013 is my current favourite based on nothing more than its advert. Even more armchair research coming!
"The bike includes a good service history too, starting with BMW history - 4 stamps, plus another 2 carried out by ourselves. We have just prepared the bike too - serviced."

6 service stamps up to 2019 would sound good, at least one per year. If these services are in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, then a BMW Insured Warranty can be purchased up to 80,000 miles at the commencement date. Not a bad idea for peace of mind, if they go wrong and they can, it's expensive to get them fixed.

Looking at the photos, I'd make the following observations.

The F&R brake pads look clean, could indeed be new.
As advertised, new F&R tyres fitted.

It's probably been used when there has been salt on the road.
Slight corrosion on the front wheel.
The exhaust headers are pitted.
Corrosion on final drive unit.
Silencer inlet slightly pitted.

If the bike is going to be used all year round, these items are purely cosmetic and perhaps no big deal.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For £5.5K, this fully loaded Hexhead with 34,000 miles on the clock has caught my eye, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 500&page=1

Private sale, 1 owner with service history, looks very clean, nice in black.

The advert "Overview" says it all.

Top case, sat. nav., tank bag plus other accessories must be worth over a grand. Selling for health reasons!
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizzle

Post by Wizzle »

Wow, thanks David - both for the expert eye on that 2013 and for finding that rather lovely shiny Hexhead! Going to pour myself a glass of something and have a decent look!
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i would avoid any pre 2007 RTs as they have servo assist brakes
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ds99 wrote:I would avoid any pre 2007 RTs as they have servo assist brakes.
Agreed, my 2007 RT did not have servo brakes. The black one posted above is a 2009 model.

"The servo powered ABS brakes on the 2005 and 2006 models were partially integrated such that the rear brake pedal only applies the rear brake while the front brake lever applies both brakes. For the 2007 model year, servo assist was removed from the partially integrated brakes."
Wizzle

Post by Wizzle »

Good to know, thanks all. Looking around 2010-2012 at the mo I think, that seems to be the sweet spot between mileage / service history and wallet!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Wizzle wrote:Looking around 2010-2012 at the mo.
Have owned a 2010 model & still got a 2012 model, both exactly the same except the colour.