Nautilus Horn fitting problems

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
BeeJay

Nautilus Horn fitting problems

Post by BeeJay »

Hello,decided to buy the Nippy Norman's Nautilus fitting bracket. After fitting the bracket on my 2018 1200 the horn just touches, about 4mm movement, on both forks.
Has anyone used this bracket successfully.
My Nautilus is about 10years old so it could be that the newer ones are slimmer.
Thanks
:)

Sprintgull

Re: Nautilus Horn fitting problems

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Bee Jay
I bought the horn and bracket and had to return it in the end.  Slightly different problem though because mine was rubbing on the brake line, not touching the forks.  You can see how it chafed the horn too.  The Denali seemed to have the same issue.  Too big a thing in too small a gap I guess.  Shame, because it sounded brilliant.  NN were pretty good about refunding though.
Attachments
DSC_1633.JPG
DSC_1632.JPG
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Sprintgull, thanks for that.
The latest Nautilus is slightly smaller than my one so I've ordered that with fingers crossed. I'll fit the one I have to wifey's CB1000R.
The other problem is that the horn "plug and play" plug does not fit my bike plug. Luckily I had an old horn wiring kit from NN and the plug fits.
btw the horn sounds awesome !!!
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi BeeJay
Glad you got there in the end!  I think that it was on left lock that the hose rubbed on mine.  Yes they sound terrific.  The other bit of fun I had with mine was when the relay in the NN kit failed and it stick on while I was riding up the A34 early one morning.  Only way to shut it up was pull the fuse out!
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Hi, not so good in the end. New Nautilus was same size if not a fraction bigger, in places, than my original horn. So I have contacted NN for return, fingers crossed.
I have fitted my original Nautilus, as I had completed the re-wire prior to fitting the horn thinking that a "proper" bracket would be okay when in fact it's no different to when I used a slightly bent original horn bracket on my previous RT. It still touches on full locks but I'll live with that until I get a replacement sorted.
Has anyone fitted a "decent", oud horn to the RT1200 LC model?
:)

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Hi, just re-read Sprintgull post. It's weird how his problem was fouling the brake lines but clearing the forks and my problem was the opposite.
Isn't life grand?

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Beejay,

Yes, weird isn't it.  I was wondering about one of these : https://www.nippynormans.com/f800r-f800 ... 120db-horn as the individual components would be easier to house.  I've currently got a previous Stiebel, smaller and does not need a relay, which emits a low paaaarrrppppp.  You know what I mean :)
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I had to use two fitting brackets together to facilitate fitting the Fiamm version. This moved the horn forward and down giving the clearance needed.
R1250RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have fitted the low tone horn off a BMW 5 Series, had it both on my 2014 and now on my 1250. Its  a like for like replacement and a lot louder, with no relay or can bus issues. I bought mine from my local car dealer.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote: I have fitted the low tone horn off a BMW 5 Series, had it both on my 2014 and now on my 1250. Its  a like for like replacement and a lot louder, with no relay or can bus issues. I bought mine from my local car dealer.

+1
I unashamedly copied Casbar's solution!
John Bentall