Werks quite ride screen

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Fish

Werks quite ride screen

Post by Fish »

Hi All
I’m looking at buying  a werks quite ride screen, I have spoken with Terry & he is advising the 24inch but my guts tells me get the 22, I’m hoping some of you that have the werks screen  on your bikes can  help , I am 5ft-7 , ride with seat in low seat position , have a set of ilium bar risers.
My biggest concern with the 24 is my summer months were temps rise up to the 42C / 109F & I won’t get much air flow from the bigger 24 inch screen
What do you guys run & any comments would be much appreciated
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Werks quite ride screen

Post by T6pilot »

Fish
I’am a short 6’1” and went with the 22inch 3 years now and couldn’t be happier, biggest + is it deflects the rain we never have in SOCAL, just kidding, quality shield and Werks as advertised
Jim
Fish

Post by Fish »

Cheers for reply Jim, can you see over the screen when fully raised or do you look through it & what position do you run your seat in high or low
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I am 5ft 8, ride with the seat in the normal position. I have the 24inch screen. When it is set it is about half way, so way below the eye level and I find I never have to adjust it. In the Summer, nothing like yours, I either have the screen fully down or in the normal position and get air, it is warm though, so its either air and its not clear air or run with the screen in the normal position and get clean air. Its better than the standard screen though
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Fish wrote: Hi All
I’m looking at buying  a werks quite ride screen, I have spoken with Terry & he is advising the 24inch but my guts tells me get the 22, I’m hoping some of you that have the werks screen  on your bikes can  help , I am 5ft-7 , ride with seat in low seat position , have a set of ilium bar risers.
My biggest concern with the 24 is my summer months were temps rise up to the 42C / 109F & I won’t get much air flow from the bigger 24 inch screen
What do you guys run & any comments would be much appreciated

I really believe Terry has more experience than any of us on here about the best screen size for your body dims. Did you discuss your trunk length?

I do understand your caution though, because I am a fairly 'British standard' 5'10" and use the seat on the upper setting and I use a 24" screen. So maybe another discussion with Terry would be worth it.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

We have had several conversations! Which I am glad to have. He really could go with either size. He has a tall torso for the height, and runs the seat in the low position. Much of what I have learned points to 22" tall......but where he runs the stock screen leads and the taller torso leads to the 24". Should the seat get replaced, even if the seat were run in the higher position, then the 24" would work best while at speed.

Everything is a compromise. There is no doubt the 24" will be ever so slightly better at speed under all conditions. BUT...the 22" would allow more airflow onto the rider at low speeds when in traffic for instance. And still work better than the stock screen at speed. I tend to go with the taller screen when there is a question. The taller screen is always quieter and smoother at speed....and that is where on average most of our time is spent. (Yet the difference might only be obvious when testing back to back).
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Thanks Guys for the feed back , I think I will go with the 24inch as per Terry’s advice , at the end of the day the hot summer months are only for 3 months of the year & 90% of my riding is above 70mph so I think the 24 will be the right screen for me.
Will post again once installed.
Happy riding gents

Booger man

Post by Booger man »

Go with Terry’s advise....he was spot on with me. The best after market shield for the RT period.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Finally got to go for first ride with new werks quite ride screen now that the fires are settling down here in oz, what an amazing difference from the stock screen, so nice to ride with clean air & not be looking through a screen.
Terry was spot on with what I needed & im glad I went with the tinted screen
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've found that it's worthwhile to get the tallest screen in that, when you lower the screen to below your eye-level, the taller screen is at a lower angle to the oncoming air stream.  I feel that the lower the angle, the less buffeting and the less stress on the swing arms of the screen (which have twice snapped on my 2005 RT).  It is also more aerodynamic, probably giving you a little better gas mileage.  Good luck and quiet riding.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jackronner wrote: I've found that it's worthwhile to get the tallest screen in that, when you lower the screen to below your eye-level, the taller screen is at a lower angle to the oncoming air stream.  I feel that the lower the angle, the less buffeting and the less stress on the swing arms of the screen (which have twice snapped on my 2005 RT).  It is also more aerodynamic, probably giving you a little better gas mileage.  Good luck and quiet riding.

That is not the philosophy of the Werks screen. You only have to set the screen once and its set position is a lot lower than the standard screen. So because of its aerodynamic profile, so need to select the screen that suits your height. If your breaking your swing arms, that suggests that the screen is too large and is not directing the air, but acting as a blocker, so too tall. Of course I am not a screen designer :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Less stress on the swing arms of the screen (which have twice snapped on my 2005 RT).
Before fitting an aftermarket screen to my 2012 TC, upgraded swing arms/brackets were installed.

BMW R1200RT stainless steel windshield brackets, https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-r120 ... ts.858108/

Other owners have experienced the same problem, hence the replacement s/s ones being available.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

jackronner wrote: I've found that it's worthwhile to get the tallest screen in that, when you lower the screen to below your eye-level, the taller screen is at a lower angle to the oncoming air stream.  I feel that the lower the angle, the less buffeting and the less stress on the swing arms of the screen (which have twice snapped on my 2005 RT).  It is also more aerodynamic, probably giving you a little better gas mileage.  Good luck and quiet riding.

Yes, there is truth in that. BUT....any windshield is a compromise. For instance, running a taller than needed screen will not allow ANY air onto your face even when all the way down. Two reasons that I think that is very important. First is when it is hot and you are stuck in slow or stopped traffic, that airflow onto your face is most welcome. Second is when riding in the rain. I often ride in the rain with the screen nearly or all the way down. Blows the raindrops off my visor. Goes without saying how important that is.

There is no worry at all about the windshield brackets failing on the 2014-2020 RT's. The motor and brackets allow the screen to be raised even at speeds well over 100 mph. BMW learned something about the Hexhead and Camhead RT's and fixed it.

If all you done was ride at higher speeds in cooler weather....the tallest screens will work slightly better. Two reasons. First is the angle the screen sits at, which on our RT's is flatter at lower heights. But the biggest reason might surprise you, it is simply that the top of the screen is closer to your helmet! The closer you get to the screen the more calm the air pocket becomes.

That said, the difference between running a screen that is taller than recommended and running one that is the best compromise is rather small. You would literally need to try them back to back under the same conditions to tell the difference. When I recommend sizes, I tend to defer to the taller size when there is doubt.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.