Front engine cover removal

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
matgriff

Front engine cover removal

Post by matgriff »

I'm going to remove the front engine cover of my 2005 RT and get it powder coated, as the paint has flaked off and it's all corroded.  Any top tips for getting it off ?

I can see that I need to remove the alternator pulley and about 16 perimeter bolts, I've removed the black square plastic cover that covers a bearing held in with a circlip & a torx style nut. Do these need to be removed ?

I'm sure it's covered in the Haynes manual, which I'll read later,  but just wondered if anyone here has done the job ?  Corrosion on this cover seems a common problem with this engine.

Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Front engine cover removal

Post by David. »

Replacing the front engine cover is not something I've done myself. Had mine on a 2012 TC replaced under goodwill/warranty by a BMW dealer.
(From new, the bike was not fitted with a fender extender, this does save a lot of damage to the cover.)

Doing some research (Google),  most folks seem to repaint the cover in-situ.
Even JVB who I believe is an R1200 Guru doesn't recommend removing the cover, https://advrider.com/f/threads/front-en ... 0.1018768/

"Pulling the front cover for corrosion is a big mistake if you are not comfortable with getting it back on perfectly. The seals are particularly tricky."

More evidence of doing it in-situ from Motorcycle Info Pages, http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/indexc8 ... eId=739661
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Hi, thanks for the info.. I had read those threads, also a few others.

I'm comfortable with my ability to put it back correctly, I'll also renew the oil seal.

Doing it in situ looks like a half job, I've already got the bike bodywork all stripped off and got it up on my lift table for all my winter servicing work.

Mat
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Can’t be to difficult a job. I Had the front Crankshaft Oil Seal replaced on a Twincam and the Dealer only charged 1 hour labour.
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

All done :-)

Powder coated by triple S in Bingley, fitted a new balancer shaft bearing & oil seal, looks great now.