Hexezcan socket problems.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
TomDK
Bike Model and Year: R1200 RT 2016
Denmark

Hexezcan socket problems.

Post by TomDK »

Just wanner hear if some of your had the same problem with the install of the Hexezcan gen II as I have ? the install should be pretty forward according to the video from Hexezcan, my 2014 RT don't have RDC or DWA so in the compartment behind the seat, there is a blind plug where the RDC should have been plugged into, my bike have such a socket in there but it is too big to fit the Hexezcan plug, I got some other blind plugs under the seat that can fit the Hexezcan plug, but if they are supposed to be used for Hexezcan wich one should I use ??    :thinking:
Attachments
HexezCAN install.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Hexezcan socket problems.

Post by David. »

From this installation guide, https://www.hexezcan.com/installation/r-series-lc/
comparing the number of wires, their colours and orientation within the plug may help.

Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Didn't know any 2014 LC came without tyre pressure sensors, or has somebody removed it? Anyway, RDC unit is just a way to get access to the can bus. When I connected mine, you take the plug off the RDC and then connect that to one lead on the Hexezcan, then the other lead off the Hex goes onto the RDC to complete the circuit so putting the Hex inline with the RDC. Think you might need to contact support as if you don't have an RDC you can only connect one socket to the Hex.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

77_0679 - RETROFIT TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR

Step 5: Has two choices, with or without RDC control unit.

Bike without RDC control unit
1.Start by unplugging the cap from the RDC – CAN-Bus connector.
2.Plug the Male HEX ezCAN into the CAN-Bus connector – inline.
3.Replace the cap on the female HEX ezCAN terminal.

Connecting the ezCAN to CANBUS (BMW without RDC/ DWA Connector)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LjBIiW ... =emb_title
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

Thanks for helping me out on this problem, I have been in contact with the Hexezcan technical support, but not much help there, they wrote to me that they don't have access to a RT without RDC and DWA, but based on where the connector is on a bike with RDC it seems to be the top connector on my photo, wich don't fit the Hexezcan  :shirty: but they also wrote that I could try the other plugs without any damage, when connected to the incorrect plug the ezcan will not work , so the next step will be to compare the color code on the wires from the photo above, but due to a lot of work, it will first happen in the weekend.

Regards from Denmark

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

TomDK wrote:I could try the other plugs without any damage, when connected to the incorrect plug the ezcan will not work.
Looking closely again at the two photos and the orientation of the wiring harness on the bike.

The middle one of the three plugs highlighted may be the correct one.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

Hi, I have just tried to plug in to some of the other plugs with the ezcan, and one plug do connect to the ezcan, I have put in extra brakelight, but the brakelight is on with "normal" light all the time, and don't light up when I press the brake pedal , and I can't control anything with the application from ezcan.
I have mailed the Hexezcan technical support again, and hope they can come up with a solution  :shirty:
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

The middle one  ???
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this video any help, How To Configure Rear & Brake Lights with the HEX ezCAN, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7sj7HB59I
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

Naa, I need to connect the Hexezcan to the right plug, maybe there is a adapter that could fit mine, but we will see what tech guys at Hexezcan can come up with  :wonder:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Hex Ezcan is designed to fit bikes with or without RDC. It appears that on the bike in question, a capped RDC plug is available which fits the Ezcan.
Because the Ezcan is not fitted "inline", the cap is then fitted to the unused Ezcan plug or socket.

Once the Ezcan is powered up from the battery, is a green light on the unit illuminated.

If these conditions are met and the Ezcan has been programmed correctly, I don't understand why it won't work as desired.
Is it possible that the extra brake light has been wired incorrectly or not suitable for use with Ezcan.

It's a bit of a long shot, I wonder if the dealers need to activate something to allow the CAN-bus (RDC) connection to talk to the Ezcan, as if RDC was retro fitted.

(I'm no expert and don't have any personal experience with Hex Ezcan, just doing some research in the hope it will help, if it's all BS, ignore it).
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

The problem is solved, it's the #2 plug on the photo that I have to plug into, but what help quit a bit is to connect the brakelight to the right plug on the ezcan  :alas:
Attachments
Hexezcan 1.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

TomDK wrote:The problem is solved, it's the #2 plug on the photo that I have to plug into.
David. wrote:The middle one of the three plugs highlighted may be the correct one.
Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Is it possible that the extra brake light has been wired incorrectly.
TomDK wrote:What helped quite a bit is to connect the brakelight to the right plug on the ezcan.
Is the yellow circuit for the brake light.

Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomDK
Denmark

Post by TomDK »

Yes , yellow is the right one  ;)