Starting issue

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Starting issue

Post by pkpilot »

I am having an interesting starting issue.  My bike will not start if it is in gear even with the kickstand up.  It has to be in neutral.  I can start it in neutral with the kickstand down, then raise it and put the bike in gear.  Any ideas?

P.K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Re: Starting issue

Post by bandytales »

What bike have you got?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

pkpilot wrote: I am having an interesting starting issue.  My bike will not start if it is in gear even with the kickstand up.  It has to be in neutral.  I can start it in neutral with the kickstand down, then raise it and put the bike in gear.  Any ideas?

P.K.

So If you pull the clutch lever in - with it in gear - will it start?
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Sounds like the clutch microswitch playing up - it should start in gear, sidestand up, clutch pulled in. The switch sometimes fails, but more often than not its caked in road crap and just needs a good clean. A good squirt of contact cleaner into the switch might sort it, although the problem may return. I'd take the switch out and give it a really good clean-up. Be careful - there's a plastic pin that the switch pivots on, it looks like a small drawing pin (thumb tack) - it's very easy to lose it, and it's not available on its own, you'd need to buy a complete switch. My last switch-clean took all of 2 mins....then 45 mins rooting around in the pebbles on the drive to find the bloody pin!!  :eek:
Pete
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

bandytales wrote:
So If you pull the clutch lever in - with it in gear - will it start?
Nope. Has to be in neutral. It will start in neutral with the clutch in or out.

pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

milleplod wrote: Sounds like the clutch microswitch playing up - it should start in gear, sidestand up, clutch pulled in. The switch sometimes fails, but more often than not its caked in road crap and just needs a good clean. A good squirt of contact cleaner into the switch might sort it, although the problem may return. I'd take the switch out and give it a really good clean-up. Be careful - there's a plastic pin that the switch pivots on, it looks like a small drawing pin (thumb tack) - it's very easy to lose it, and it's not available on its own, you'd need to buy a complete switch. My last switch-clean took all of 2 mins....then 45 mins rooting around in the pebbles on the drive to find the bloody pin!!  :eek:
Pete
Great idea.  Where exactly is that switch?  A photo would be appreciated!!

milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Dr. Montaño
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Mexico

Post by Dr. Montaño »

Had a similar problem in my 2015 R1200RT LC.

Tried just using WD40 spray on the clutch switch: Didn't work.

Removed the switch: Only one long thin tiny torks screw.

Disengaged the switch from the cable.

Thoroughly cleaned it with only WD40 spray liberally sprayed into and all over the switch.

Cleaned the housing where the switch is placed normally: It was foul. It's incredible how much grime can accumulate in such a tiny space.

Put the switch back in place.

Motorcycle now starts when in gear if the clutch is pulled fully in.

The clutch switch is actually a double switch on this motorcycle: One switch indicates the lever is fully disengaged. The second switch indicates the lever is fully engaged. Very thorough. One of the two was stuck.
Although one of the two micro-switches was actually malfunctioning, you could still hear the click from both. Don't be fooled: Even if you can hear the click for each of the two switches, one or both may not actually be operational.
Easy five minute repair.

Now I can respond fast when I end up stalling the bike in traffic. Very important.

Hope this is of help to others.

Happy riding.

Dr. Montaño