Buying advice...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Buying advice...

Post by gadgetgaz »

I'm testing a 2014 16K miles Callisto grey R1200RT LE tomorrow having made the decision to upgrade the 2005 R1200RT I've had since new. It has the dynamic pack, satnav prep and audio.
I had a 2017 model at work for two years but didn't really take much notice of things from the perspective of a buyer. I've done a load of reading around the water cooled models and like everything I see.
Having said that, are there any areas I should look at closely? What's the consensus on the rear shock issue (I'm assuming all 2014 bikes will have been sorted ages ago).
I plan to get a Navigator 6 but guess the "My motorcycle" functions won't work on this '14 model?
Will my small topbox fit OK?
I guess I'll need new pannier liners as I assume my BMW ones from the '05 won't fit properly?
My BMW tank bag obviously won't fit as there's no tank rails anymore but I think I won't bother this time round.
It's already had three owners, should that be a concern or should I see it that it has had everything done that needed doing at each purchase?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Last edited by gadgetgaz on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Buying advice...

Post by beemerboy9 »

I'm testing a 2014 16K miles Callisto grey R1200RT LE tomorrow having made the decision to upgrade the 2005 R1200RT I've had since new. It has the dynamic pack, satnav prep and audio.
I had a 2017 model at work for two years but didn't really take much notice of things from the perspective of a buyer. I've done a load of reading around the water cooled models and like everything I see.
Having said that, are there any areas I should look at closely? What's the consensus on the rear shock issue (I'm assuming all 2014 bikes will have been sorted ages ago).
The ESA on 2014 models is now just a "wear and tear" issue
I plan to get a Navigator 6 but guess the "My motorcycle" functions won't work on this '14 model?
You don't need the "My Motorcycle" App, it's just "bling"
Will my small topbox fit OK? Yes, rack design hasn't changed. I have a 2005 box mounted after its second colour change.
I guess I'll need new pannier liners as I assume my BMW ones from the '05 won't fit properly? My 2005 pannier liners fetched a good price on Fleabay
My BMW tank bag obviously won't fit as there's no tank rails anymore but I think I won't bother this time round. The lockable tank-bag from Givi is a favourite on here
It's already had three owners, should that be a concern or should I see it that it has had everything done that needed doing at each purchase? As usual, enquire about service history. Buying on PCP leads to frequent trade-ins.

John Bentall
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Buying advice...

Post by gadgetgaz »

beemerboy9 wrote:
The ESA on 2014 models is now just a "wear and tear" issue
You don't need the "My Motorcycle" App, it's just "bling"
Will my small topbox fit OK? Yes, rack design hasn't changed. I have a 2005 box mounted after its second colour change.
I guess I'll need new pannier liners as I assume my BMW ones from the '05 won't fit properly? My 2005 pannier liners fetched a good price on Fleabay
My BMW tank bag obviously won't fit as there's no tank rails anymore but I think I won't bother this time round. The lockable tank-bag from Givi is a favourite on here
It's already had three owners, should that be a concern or should I see it that it has had everything done that needed doing at each purchase? As usual, enquire about service history. Buying on PCP leads to frequent trade-ins.

Thanks beemerboy9, all appreciated.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.