To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Maz12

Re: To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by Maz12 »

£49.99 I'm guessing
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Just washed the bike today, it gets used for commuting except in extreme conditions (driving rain or snow & ice). Roads not gritted down here but lots of wet debris to throw all over the bike.
I dried the bike off outside in a reasonable breeze then in the garage before coating with ACF50 from a can. Cover most of the exposed metal I can get to, avoiding the discs and tyres.
This is the second one for the year. It makes washing the bike a lot easier and in most cases a quick jet wash with the pressure down.
Both dealers I have talked to Vines and Bahnstormer do jet wash the bikes, not on full pressure and not into seals, bearings or electrics.
I use Muc-Off on the car wheels, great for shifting the brake dust, not needed on the bike since I coated most of it.

thanks and regards, Ganesh
guest3459

Post by guest3459 »

I have used All Year Biker for a number of years - with a number of bikes- best money I spend every year on the bike
They now have a number of franchises across the country - they are all trained by Roy (guy in Dayglo's pics) and not let loose until he's happy
Would very much recommend them
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

At this price why not, just ordered a Twin Pack from Nippy Normans for £19.00 inc. free P&P. https://www.nippynormans.com/acf-50
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have decided against continuing to have my RT ACF-50'ed. The reason being that, it's quiet viscous and the frame tubes behind the panels/under the seat, plus those hard to reach areas just attract the dirt which looks unsightly. Gave the bike a thorough clean with Muc-Off to remove the grease/dirt etc., then a good blow dry with the pet dryer. Bought some GT85 spray with PTFE, £3 for a 400ml aerosol from Halfords, it's brilliant. Easy to apply, displaces water/moisture, looks good and smells great, can be used on all surfaces, brings the black plastics up a treat.
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

David. wrote: Have decided against continuing to have my RT ACF-50'ed. The reason being that, it's quiet viscous and the frame tubes behind the panels/under the seat, plus those hard to reach areas just attract the dirt which looks unsightly. Gave the bike a thorough clean with Muc-Off to remove the grease/dirt etc., then a good blow dry with the pet dryer. Bought some GT85 spray with PTFE, £3 for a 400ml aerosol from Halfords, it's brilliant. Easy to apply, displaces water/moisture, looks good and smells great, can be used on all surfaces, brings the black plastics up a treat.

Muc Off ....  the worst thing you can put on your bike, thought everyone knew that by now
East Anglia (Fenland)
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Easyrider5258 wrote:
Muc Off ....  the worst thing you can put on your bike, thought everyone knew that by now

For what reason?

Its the first I have heard
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Muc-Off, Nano Tech Motorcycle Cleaner | Motorcycle - Clean – Muc-Off UK

"It’s safe on all surfaces, and it’s even disc brake rotor and pad friendly."

Recently bought 5 litres for £15.
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Make sure you wash the muc off in the required amount of time.  It ruined the engine cases on my mates CB900 because he got distracted and left it on for too long.

I'm still ACFing all my bikes.  If a bit of dust sticks to the frame under the covers, I'm not worried about that.
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

I am reluctant to get dragged into the Muc-Off debate again, it's been done to death, here's a few facts,  when complaining to your BMW dealer about "Defective"  paint and anodised damage, tell him you used Muc off and its auto reject for your claim, ask any professional valeter their opinion of Muc Off for universal negative comments, finally here's a few comments sourced from the internet ;

No, I disagree, Muc Off is pretty aggressive - it makes paint go flat

I used it once on a carbon frame which turned an alarming misty grey colour.

Muc-off and similar are bloody aggressive - it dulls paint and attacks matt-finish alloy parts

A bit of a school boy error with some Muc Off, net result the wheel rims now have a cloudy finish.

I have the raw alloy ones on my 1100 and they went sort of milky

Don't use Muc Off saw it ruin my mates black anodised stem and bars on his new road bike, turned it a streaky milky white colour in places. Soap and water for me and a liberal spray of ACF-50 which I am really impressed with.

Have a motorbike which has spoked black anodised wheels which have been cleaned with Muc Off since new and the finish has now gone very dull,

I've washed my bike with Muc Off for the first time today. After leaving it to do "its thing" for a few minutes, I came back to find it had left streaks all over the plastics. Not only that but the streaks appear to have faded the plastics!!!

Never tell a bmw dealer you use muc-off to clean your bike, if you ever make a warranty claim bmw will void the claim they insist you don't use this to clean your bike.

I'll not be using Muc-off again!! nasty stuff!

My bike's previous owner washed it regularly with MucOff. The rear subframe has rusted under the paint. Steering strut is a mess and the wire wheels need to be rebuilt due to corrosion. Otherwise it's fine.

Following instructions is no good because Muc Offs effects are cumulative, it may look fine in the short term but regular use even following the instructions will damage your bike in the long term.

Not getting to debating this, its my only post on the subject, some myopic riders will swear its great as their machine dissolves before them, good luck to them!
Last edited by Easyrider5258 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
East Anglia (Fenland)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Love Muc Off, use it all the time. Bennets Utube tested 7 months ago no problems, wasn't in favourite's because of high PH number. Remember when first launched reports of high salt content and everyone jumped on bandwagon slating it, formula was changed and every scientific review I've seen since has no problems with it. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

These are the results using Muc-Off and GT85 Spray.

Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Looks better than new David.

Now QUICK, get it back in the garage before it rains.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Looks better than new David.
Not bad for 10 years old (next year) and 37,600 miles on the clock. Using Muc-Off and ACF-50, now GT85 Spray.
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Looks very clean David. I'm guessing the bike is not used in winter and is kept well away from salt.