Lift a leg

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Lift a leg

Post by jackronner »

On a rented bike in France some years ago, I noticed what at first I thought was a rather rude leg gesture by bikers when a kindly car would make room for them to pass:  they'd extend their legs for a second or two.  I eventually realized that this was a "thank you" for their courtesy.  I ride in California - the only state that allows white-lining/filtering - and always try to give them an acknowledging wave to encourage their continued nice behavior and rehabilitate the bikers' image among those who resent/envy our ability to untie traffic knots.  But I soon realized that the continental leg wave is a much saner and safer method:  you keep your hands on the bars and don't run the risk of your waving hand smacking the next car in line as you pass.  I'm trying the leg lift, but I'm wondering if they think it as rude as I initially did.  So, US bikers (don't know if this is a UK thing, too?) let's try to spread this new technique.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Lift a leg

Post by Casbar »

Not really a UK thing. I just put up my hand to say thanks or if I have a pillion I leave it to them.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Casbar wrote: Not really a UK thing. I just put up my hand to say thanks or if I have a pillion I leave it to them.
+1
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Sprintgull wrote: +1
+1
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: Not really a UK thing. I just put up my hand to say thanks

+1

tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

+1 for me too.
Although, I was still in the habit of sticking the leg out to say thanks when we came back from France last year, certainly for a week or so. French drivers are certainly the most courteous to bike riders I've seen so far. They really do get right onto the grass verge to allow you past. Loved every minute of it over there.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

It's a 'continental'/French thing because, of course, they drive on the wrong side of the road. be

They can't wave a 'thank you' to the kindly driver with their visible right hand for obvious reasons, so the leg-wave was developed. Here in Blighty, where we drive on the correct side of the road, our left hand, clearly visible, can gesticulate to our heart's content....even when we're saying the exact opposite of 'thank you'!  :alas:
Pete
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Napoleon being left handed seems to have caused all sorts of issues.....