Another broken windshield swing arm - wide aftermarket shields too much?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Another broken windshield swing arm - wide aftermarket shields too much?

Post by jackronner »

I've got an extra-wide and tall shield, and I'm beginning to think you should think twice about getting one since it may over-tax the arms.  Some strong, but not violent, winds on on my 1500 miles tour this weekend.  It's made me think that the pot-metal aluminum is purposely weak to prevent damage to the actuator mechanism, or else they're just cheap sods at BMW. Replaced the last one with a stainless steel Chinese one;  much cheaper and stronger.
bandytales

Re: Another broken windshield swing arm - wide aftermarket shields too much?

Post by bandytales »

I obviously don't know what size your windscreen is, but on the Hexhead/Camheads the winscreen arms have always been marginal. For those folk who have uprated the arms, I have never heard of a problems. So based on that anecdotal evidence, I think once you have the stronger arms fitted you will be fine.
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

bandytales wrote: I obviously don't know what size your windscreen is, but on the Hexhead/Camheads the winscreen arms have always been marginal. For those folk who have uprated the arms, I have never heard of a problems. So based on that anecdotal evidence, I think once you have the stronger arms fitted you will be fine.
Were the arms upgraded in later model years? If not what is the upgrade?

JJ
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

AwesomeDad wrote: Were the arms upgraded in later model years? If not what is the upgrade?

JJ

Starting with the Wethead RT in 2014, the windscreen linkage is much stronger. I cannot remember hearing of one breaking, and I have tested large screens on them at up to 130 mph. I have raised them at 100+ mph.

The Hexhead in 2005 and Camhead series in 2010 all had some owners that upgraded to aftermarket linkage bars to fix the weak links.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.