The Nod

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: The Nod

Post by B787MECH »

One thing about riding in Europe etc is that riders tend to put their left arm out and down to acknowledge other riders which works well. In the UK that wouldn’t work (other side of the road) so it’s become usual to do a sort of nod that can look more like a nervous twitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

tojjer - Your mates are buying into the stereotype. Perhaps they also believe that Harleys are only ridden either by members of hard-core biker gangs or Bankers wanting to play bad-boy at the weekends. It's all a load of tosh.

Whilst I may get slightly fewer acknowledgements from non-BMW riders when out on my RT I acknowledge most others on two wheels. As with some other posters, the only time I don't is in busy towns where there my focus needs to be elsewhere for safety.

It is my experience that age is more a factor in this than machine make or type. Youngsters tend to be less likely to wave/nod in my opinion. When I first stared riding we were more of brotherhood. Machines were less reliable and stopping to assist a fellow motorcyclist was the done thing if you saw someone stranded at the roadside. Nowdays that is less of a thing as machines are more reliable but also more complex so the chances of fixing any problems roadside are much less. (Although last weekend I did try to help some poor guy stranded on some Taiwanese thing that apparently doesn't like the rain.) Perhaps it is because of this that we are not so close as a group as we used to be.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Old Foxy wrote: I'm with you - it has been part of my riding life for 50+ years. I wave or nod to all powered two-wheelers (and outfits) regardless on make.
+1 :-)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Mem62, Hadn't thought about the effects of increased reliability you noted. I've never owned a cell phone (and got a whole lotta static from friends about it when I did my 10k mile tour two years ago),but I'm less inclined to stop for sidelined cars, figuring that they're just a phone call away from help nowadays. I do stop for obvious flat tires since it seems that even men no longer are necessarily capable of dealing with it themselves. Always slow for bikes on the side to see if they're in need of help.
Last edited by jackronner on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I happen to ride a White RT, use a hi-viz vest (without a POLITE notice!) and wear a white helmet. Do you think I get a nod or a wave from anybody?  :(
John Bentall
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

beemerboy9 wrote: I happen to ride a White RT, use a hi-viz vest (without a POLITE notice!) and wear a white helmet. Do you think I get a nod or a wave from anybody? :(
Only other coppers :-)
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

beemerboy9 wrote: I happen to ride a White RT, use a hi-viz vest (without a POLITE notice!) and wear a white helmet. Do you think I get a nod or a wave from anybody?  :(

You would from me !
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

tojjer wrote:
You would from me !

And me, I even nod at proper coppers.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)