Ambient temperature issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Stigwh

Ambient temperature issue

Post by Stigwh »

Hi all,
my friends 2011 R1200RT has had a less than optimistic readout for the ambient temperature. Compared to mine 2013 RT, his temperatur shows about 5 degrees C lower than mine. Mine seems to be ok. However, lately his temperatur has rised to around 30 degrees C, when mine stayes at a wopping (and unfortunately correct-ish) 10 degrees C.
Yesterday we changed his temperature sensor to a brand new one, but got the same readings. We did not ride the bike after the switch, but I would assume that the sensor works immediately. Strangely enough, the reading in the dash was identical even when we unplugged the sensor.
Which indicates to me that there are some issues with the cable.
Have anyone experienced similar issues, and what was in case the remedy?

Thanks

Stig
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Ambient temperature issue

Post by jackronner »

On my 2005 RT, it always reads about 5 degrees F low, whereas it used to be quite accurate.  Some research indicated that later models changed the placement of the sensor to a more forward position to avoid engine heat influencing the reading.  I don't particularly care about it, unless it somehow messes with the ABS when it falsely reads below freezing.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Ambient temperature issue

Post by gadgetgaz »

I recall back in about 2006 there was a directive to move the sensor from under that back wheel arch to just inside the front right fairing. It was supposed to make it more accurate but has always been inaccurate. Mine (2005 model) has always read about 4 degrees C too high and seems to pick up heat from the oil cooler or similar.
Last edited by gadgetgaz on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.