Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Sprintgull

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm still thinking about riding the bike.  Borderline high risk with a minor heart issue a few years ago, but no symptoms of Covid. Assuming you are riding alone there is no real risk of transmission either way that I can see. My strategy would be to take any grub or drinks with me, and use garage diesel gloves and pay at the pump for refuelling.  TBH I think it is about being sensible; I find being antisocial quite easy :)  We are also juggling the imminent demise of my mother 130 miles away.  We have free access to the side room she is in and there is plenty of hand gel etc as you'd expect in a hospital, but the threat is enough to make us very careful even though they have very little infection there (Devon).
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

mondeoman wrote: The UK's population is 66 million not 50

Dave's figures are for after the virus 😂
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Good one, Simbo (if a bit dark).  It occurred to me as I took my helmet off yesterday that I should go into a shop, etc. with my helmet on and in full-face mode.  Not a face mask, but it can't hurt.  Also occurred to me that it's a great time for bank robbers:  no one would suspect you walking into/out of a bank with a mask on.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

mondeoman wrote: The UK's population is 66 million not 50

I am glad you said that, it makes the percentage even less... :)  actually the uk population is  67,886,01  U.K. Population (2020) - Worldometerwww.worldometers.info › world-population › uk-population But i was showing how low and minimal it was, not how much population we have :)

Last edited by davef1uk on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

MikeS wrote:
Just out of interest where did you get those figures  from?
Maths... but you can go to
www.worldometers.info

Work it out yourself... i did... i this the cases have now increased to  2,457  out of 67 million Uk inhabitants... percentage is 0.001 1 percent is 670000  so as i said, puts it into perspective
Last edited by davef1uk on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I really don't understand the seriousness of this epidemic when only small numbers and I understand that every death is tragic and I dont underestimate the sorrow that each one causes but I believe flu kills far more people every year yet the consequences of this epidemic far outweigh those of flu. I understand the suspicions as to the  dubious information we are being given.

....... or am I being naive.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Beagle wrote: I really don't understand the seriousness of this epidemic when only small numbers and I understand that every death is tragic and I dont underestimate the sorrow that each one causes but I believe flu kills far more people every year yet the consequences of this epidemic far outweigh those of flu. I understand the suspicions as to the  dubious information we are being given.

Read an interesting piece on the interweb regarding the comparison between Covid-19 and seasonal flu. However like everything in the news and on the web it's up to us to take what we want from it.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-compare-influenza/

Last edited by MikeS on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

MikeS wrote:
Read an interesting piece on the interweb regarding the comparison between Covid-19 and seasonal flu. However like everything in the news and on the web it's up to us to take what we want from it.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-compare-influenza/

Thanks Mike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: I really don't understand the seriousness of this epidemic when only small numbers and I understand that every death is tragic and I dont underestimate the sorrow that each one causes but I believe flu kills far more people every year yet the consequences of this epidemic far outweigh those of flu. I understand the suspicions as to the  dubious information we are being given.

You are being naive. This will kill more than Flu does every year. One expert from Kings College yesterday was estimating possibly 200k deaths in the UK alone. It could be a lot worse. With Flu a lot of the population has had the flu jab, so a lot do not get it. There is no protection to this virus. Another worse case scenario in the modelling, is 80% of UK population will get this virus, or will have had it and not known, so even if you then work out a % death rate, its a lot.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just received a text message from my GP surgery.

They are only providing same day "Telephone Triage" appointments. If the clinician feels it is necessary to see you they will invite you to the surgery. Please do not attend the practice unless informed to do so.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

On a slightly more positive note, the roads should be quieter for us bikers.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: On a slightly more positive note, the roads should be quieter for us bikers.

Not if they stop all non essential travel, won't be any nip out on the bike for a quick ride :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Another local MCC has suspended their meetings & events.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I'm like you with very few cases I wonder why the mass panic/hysteria.

At the press conference earlier today with the Chief Medical Officer & Chief Scientific Officer the BBC put up World statistics.

200000 infected
8000 deaths
World population in 2019 was 7.7 billion
So the % of the world population who have died with Covid19 is 0.000104....
For some perspective;
1.3 million died of T.B. in 2016We are causing a global recession  for what?
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well I hope you two are correct and the experts have gone overboard and got it wrong, I'll be a very happy chap. My pension pot has taken a serious hit