Another Satnav Lock Option?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Sprintgull

Re: Another Satnav Lock Option?

Post by Sprintgull »

Been using the Old Timers version for a while now and it is really good.  My problem was I kept dropping the Nav when taking it off the bike.  Like Casbar says, I would not leave it on the bike parked in the open overnight, but for daytime use it is brilliant.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Been using the Old Timers version for a while now and it is really good.  My problem was I kept dropping the Nav when taking it off the bike.  Like Casbar says, I would not leave it on the bike parked in the open overnight, but for daytime use it is brilliant.

I have ordered one, although not sure how long it will take to get to the UK now :) I was defiantly in the its easy to just take the Nav off the bike when I stop. But I managed to drop my Nav V twice and now I have a VI I am a lot more careful, but the lock has now risen to my "its a good idea" level :)
wits
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by wits »

Casbar wrote: I have ordered one, although not sure how long it will take to get to the UK now :) I was defiantly in the its easy to just take the Nav off the bike when I stop. But I managed to drop my Nav V twice and now I have a VI I am a lot more careful, but the lock has now risen to my "its a good idea" level :)
I have the old timers sat nav lock, again works very well, easy to fit, most fiddle bit is cable tying the wires...…
Wouldn't  leave sat nav on bike overnight, but ok for coffee, food, fuel stop is ok......
RT1200 LC 2018, Guzzi Breva 1100 2005 ...Now sold....
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

wits wrote: ,
I have the old timers sat nav lock, again works very well, easy to fit, most fiddle bit is cable tying the wires...…
Wouldn't  leave sat nav on bike overnight, but ok for coffee, food, fuel stop is ok......

Just fitted mine. Excellent piece of kit.
I used one of these to feed through the side and grab the plug then pull back.

It has claws that come out when end button is pressed then draw back when released gripping plug.
Attachments
22200091-A8EC-4EB6-877B-649D7FC03D5D.jpeg
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

After 2 1/2 weeks and 3 messages, I finally received a reply from Oldtimers in regards to pricing and ordering information for their NAV VI lock mechanism.  In the meantime, I began to reconsider my decision to drop this kind of money on something that promotes my laziness in failing to remove the GPS from the cradle when leaving the bike unattended.  Besides, I have yet to hear of anyone getting their GPS stolen off their bike. And then I almost dropped mine while removing it (easy to do). Decision made!  I'll be placing an order in the near future. 

Has anyone here had a lock assembly shipped to the US and if so, approximately how long did it take to arrive?
Duane
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

That is totally different to my experience of Old Timers. I emailed them Sat of last week, got a reply Sat night, paid Sunday, lock arrived yesterday (Friday). That is UK though and I also paid by PayPal and was 10 Euro short, the emailed me and asked me to pay the extra 10 Euro, which I did on Tues. They thanked me and told me they had already shipped. Think they were excellent to deal with.

Wunderlich are also now selling the same lock, so there is another option. www.nippynormans.com has the Wunderlich one in stock, I think they ship to the US.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

Beware of the Wunderlich one pictured in this thread IF you have Sirius radio.  The Sirius radio antenna will have to be removed and relocated with that version.  Oldtimers sells an updated version that has a new mounting place for the Sirius antenna.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

kioolt wrote: Beware of the Wunderlich one pictured in this thread IF you have Sirius radio.  The Sirius radio antenna will have to be removed and relocated with that version.  Oldtimers sells an US version that has a new mounting place for the Sirius antenna.

....and so do Wunderlich.
John Bentall
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

beemerboy9 wrote:
....and so do Wunderlich.

The Wunderlich one shown on Nippy Normans does not have the update that Oldtimers has done to allow easy relocation of the Sirius antenna.

Take a look at this [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsNb3dpQ-U[/size] and you can see that the extension for the antenna is not on the Nippy Normans example.

Last edited by kioolt on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Having just fit the Nippy Normans one I did not need one with an aerial. Is that for the bike with keyless access?
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

That's for the bikes with Sirius XM satellite radio option.  I believe that may be only available in the US market where I am.
Last edited by kioolt on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ok thanks
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

kioolt wrote: That's for the bikes with Sirius XM satellite radio option.  I believe that may be only available in the US market where I am.

kioolt,  do you have the Oldtimer's Satnav lock on your bike?  If so, how was your experience with them?  How long did it take to receive it in the states?
Duane
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I'm not sure exactly how long it took to get the lock after I sent payment but I believe I would be safe in saying 1 to 2 weeks.  Installation was easy.  The only time that I communicated with Oldtimers was asking how to pay and how much.  The response was within the same day if I recall correctly.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

kioolt wrote: I'm not sure exactly how long it took to get the lock after I sent payment but I believe I would be safe in saying 1 to 2 weeks.  Installation was easy.  The only time that I communicated with Oldtimers was asking how to pay and how much.  The response was within the same day if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the reply  I'm going to pull the trigger on this next week.  I fully expect some delay in receiving it due to the corona virus crisis but I've got time until the riding season really kicks in. Thanks again.
Duane