Technology?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Technology?

Post by hammo »

I was reading up today on latest upgrades for a certain motorcycle , it was stating Carplay which is an app to interact with your Apple i-phone , its easy to swap between your navigation and your riding display ? i think anything that takes your awareness from looking ahead is crazy on a motorcycle in this day and age , one of the worst habits is car and van drivers using their mobile phones , the new law has done nothing to deter this you see it every day seems to me that this "Technology" will lead to more accidents .Ride Safe . :nervous: 
PeteM

Re: Technology?

Post by PeteM »

There will always be idiots, if you make something fool proof they will just find you a bigger fool.

For the rest of the world the big advantage of car play/android auto is you can use the sat nav that came with your phone, rather than having a separate expensive unit that is more than likely out of date. It also means that you get consistent route planning across all vehicles you use rather each manufactures guidance being a bit different from each others which will take more concentration from the road ahead than one thing you are totally familiar with.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Personally I have found bike sat nav to be a potential safety feature, mainly when travelling abroad. I remember when I used to rely on maps, trying to memorise routes on unfamiliar road systems. Navigating in and out of towns/cities was a bit of a nightmare, involving last second change of lanes and stopping to recheck the paper map.
Sat nav took the pressure off, made the ride much more relaxed and if anything allows me to concentrate more on what's going on around me.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

I'm a big big fan of Android Auto. not least because Google maps voice searching and live traffic mapping is second to none.
Also because I can search for a place on my phone at home and then when I get in the car that location is already there waiting for me to click the navigate button. as I've got used to AA in my car and know it like the back of my hand it would make total sense to have it on my bike too. I really wish there was a solution. The 2020 Honda Africa Twin has phone screen mirroring in the form of Apple Carplay but, for some unbelievable reason, not Android Auto. If it had AA I really think I'd be riding an Africa Twin right now.
If BMW were to offer screen mirroring on their bikes though I think it would only be for Apple and not Android just like they do in their cars. I don't see how the management of any company can pacify their shareholders when they are writing off more than half of all their smartphone owning customers!
Personally, I like to keep my biking aligned with my driving and that involves mapping, music and phone calls. I always say if you are a good rider and machine control comes naturally and subconsciously then you have the spare brain cycles to deal with technology. I'm all for it!
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.