Fuel filler cap not locking

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
gogs01

Fuel filler cap not locking

Post by gogs01 »

My bike has keyless ride and central locking.
The filler cap locks with the ignition on, unlocks when the ignition is switched off (to permit re-fuelling) then after 1 - 2 minutes locks again. It's a very clever system when it works.
My bike was in for a service at 35,000 miles and the tech said that it showed a fault, indicating that the filler cap was not locking.  It's hardly the end of the world, because it closes and seals, but I suppose it should lock.  I hadn't realised there was a fault because I'm not in the habit of checking that it has locked when I know it has clicked shut.
I now have to decide whether I want to replace the entire filler cap assembly to cure this fault or do I just live with it.
One day I will pluck up the courage to ask how much a new filler cap assembly will cost ..... :-X
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Rick B

Re: Fuel filler cap not locking

Post by Rick B »

Have you tried a spray of WD40 , i did on mine when it was sticking as i noticed that water can sit inside it.
lolo28fr

Post by lolo28fr »

I had the oppposite issue on mine: filler cap didn't unlock when I cut the power off. Of course my tank was quite empty and I didn't have enough carb to go back home.

Happily enough it ended up unlocking after 10 to 15 tries (switching power on and off). Once returned home, I cleaned it with air spray and put a little bit of WD40.

Had it replace Under waranty by BMW.

Dirt had get Inside it and blocked it.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've got plenty WD40.
Time to give it a try  ☺
Pricey2003
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by Pricey2003 »

lolo28fr wrote: I had the oppposite issue on mine: filler cap didn't unlock when I cut the power off. Of course my tank was quite empty and I didn't have enough carb to go back home.

Happily enough it ended up unlocking after 10 to 15 tries (switching power on and off). Once returned home, I cleaned it with air spray and put a little bit of WD40.

Had it replace Under waranty by BMW.

Dirt had get Inside it and blocked it.
Had my 2017 MOT’d today and the garage struggled to open the keyless filler cap. It had been stood over winter and not used. After the test I fiddled with it and managed to open it while holding it down. A good dose of WD40 solved the problem.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My filler cap opens and closes OK, it just doesn't lock - see my other thread :
Keyless, Central Locking, Fuel Filler Cap

The bike is keyless and the central locking still works on everything - except the fuel filler cap.