Impersonating a police officer

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Impersonating a police officer

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:
The thing about IAM and RoSPA (I am current in both) is that it is a test of riding at the time. Passing the tests, do not make you an advanced rider, it means you have managed to meet the standards of the test. 1000s of miles and continuous training possibly makes you an advanced rider.

Some very good points there 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps the IAM have got it wrong, Institute of Advanced Motorists.

RoSPA too might not be wholly accurate, https://www.roadar.org.uk/riders/index.htm
"A RoSPA gold is the highest civilian riding standard available and the holder will be a master of his or her art."

Ridewell Tees Valley provides courses in advanced motor biking, http://ridewellteesvalley.co.uk/ The tutors are both ex-police motorcyclists.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Institute of Average Motorists - lol. And before I upset anyone, that is a joke
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: Institute of Average Motorists - lol. And before I upset anyone, that is a joke

😂
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

I have never liked the “ I’m better than you “.  I like to learn, we are all or all should be open to learning.  Learning is a process over time.  But some follow bad habits and therefore are only copying bad driving or riding, no matter how many years you have drove or rode. 

But if we open ourselves to learning, be it from advanced groups or other responsible riders, then I feel that’s good.  It keeps us safe. 

My learning from driving instructing to advanced rospa riding are totally different, but you are still learning new things..just more to think about. 

I have been behind riders that either ride 1 second or less behind cars consistently to positioning their bikes or cars wrongly and dangerously. 

Lots it common sense.  😁
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote:I joined IAM in 2002 and again in 2008 , managing to pass the test. Have since attended 3 bikesafe days by way of refreshers.
In my local force area of Cleveland and Durham, https://bikesafe.co.uk/cleveland/ unfortunately, if you have already passed an advanced motorcycle test, the BikeSafe workshops are not available to you. They are designed to "Bridge the Gap" between passing your DVSA test, then further training towards an advanced motorcycle test.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

In my local force area! does the 'force area' give the bollocks more importance? 😂
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The cost of a C&D BikeSafe workshop is £20, if you go on to enrol on an IAM course to test standard, you'll get a £75 refund.

This was applicable in 2015, https://www.bikewise.org.uk/bikesafe.php would need to check if the offer is still valid.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

I think the bike safe is  brilliant.. as i have said before, you can never stop learning.. the opportunity to be observed by a class 1 police officer and listen to his experience and become a better , safer and more competent  rider...  and if you think you know it all, it's a unknowing road your on.be
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Aren’t we getting a bit off-topic now? The OP was about people trying to deceive others into thinking they were police officers, nothing to do with the various merits of different training schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

B787MECH wrote: Aren’t we getting a bit off-topic now? The OP was about people trying to deceive others into thinking they were police officers, nothing to do with the various merits of different training schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really, there are no rules around where a thread goes. The point was raised dressing up like a police officer, on a white bike with white helmet, probably doesn't help that much, as those on fully marked bikes still get motorists pulling out on them. Therefore the training is goes a long way to keeping us safe, not trying to look like a Police motorcyclist.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I thought the thread was about the way someone has gone out to deceive other road users for his own ends I.e imitating a police motorcyclist not because it would make him safer but to get a kick out of it. Very dubious behaviour in my opinion and nothing to do with being safety conscious or displaying his safety awareness.
A bit like the guy who used to turn up at Army veterans marches dressed in all the gear including fake medals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ted Black wrote:Currently own an ex police 2016 R1200RT that had crashed.
Don't know the details but it looks like accidents can happen to the best riders on fully liveried bikes.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Not surprised the mileage they do,
I think it was a Cheshire force that was on tv that did 12,000,000 a year. They had a yard full of crashed Police Cars
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

I rode work bikes for 20-odd years, and wore the hi-viz to go with them - never, ever again, thanks very much! I'd never criticise anyone for choosing to wear it though, that's personal choice. However.....the single, solitary reason for anyone wearing hi-viz with 'POLITE' emblazoned across it is......drum roll......because it looks remarkably like 'POLICE', end of. Otherwise, of course, they'd be wearing hi-viz with something like 'LOOK' or 'THINK' on it, wouldn't they!

Anyone wearing such a thing should be lampooned, mocked, treated with derision and generally scorned....always. Wannabe idiots, the lot of them.
Pete