Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David. »

beagle wrote:You are allowed to use it to buy essential shopping or medicines.
Unfortunately, all essential shopping can be done within a 1 to 1.5 miles radius of home.
Hardly worth getting the bike out for and wouldn't satisfy the need. Better for my physical health to walk.

Fortunately, don't need any medicines, which if necessary, could also be obtained locally. Might need some anti-depressants soon.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is getting close to home and is no joke. Learnt last night that a lady had died yesterday from Coronavirus. She was the partner of a neighbour's father.
Last edited by David. on Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: This is getting close to home and is no joke. Learnt last night that a lady had died yesterday from Coronavirus. She was the partner of a neighbour's father.

How old was she?.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:How old was she?
Sorry, don't know.

The neighbour's father is 80+, but that means nothing these days. Just look at Bernie Ecclestone, 89 with a wife of 44 who's pregnant.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

simbo wrote:
How old was she?.

Does it matter?
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MikeS wrote:
Does it matter?

Yes. We seem to be getting a lot of figures about deaths, and not so much about age or underlying health issues of the people dying.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

simbo wrote:
Yes. We seem to be getting a lot of figures about deaths, and not so much about age or underlying health issues of the people dying.

My point is that somebody has lost a loved one/ family member prematurely due to a Covid related illness. How old were they? Does it matter in the context of the post?

Yes,  I accept we are being given a lot of information about death rates but the finer details are in the public domain if we care to look. People are dying earlier than they should have, regardless of whether they are over 70, have chronic airway disease, heart failure, diabetes or whatever.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it's just my perspective on this awful situation.

Mike

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

There are people with underlying health issues dying of Covid -19 but the scary thing is that there are those dying who do not. We never thought in the beginning that this situation would be so serious and there are people who sadly still dont. Some may try and get comfort by looking for underlying health conditions in the victims but we know you cannot assume that and this virus attacks the healthy as well as the sick with Devastating results to both.
I feel for those whose relatives are dying alone and are unable to be with them including children.
It was reported that some over seventy fives were being asked to sign DNR’s  and doctors have the trauma of deciding who gets treatment and who doesn't.
I believe sadly this virus will not be the last serious Pandemic
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I have been watching this thread with interest since it started. Up until now, I have resisted the urge to post.

Correct. This virus will NOT be the last pandemic we see. This particular virus isn't finished with us yet though, not by a long way. Once it runs out of suitable people to infect, it will mutate and start looking again. A virus is so clever at what it does, it adapts and learns as it goes. It can mutate quickly, or it can change slowly. Simply put, they are evil and amazing at the same time. The perfect weapon if a rogue country chose to make it that. Look at what it's done to the world already.

If anyone still thinks this is being overstated, it's not. I have 2 work colleagues in intensive care on ventilators, 16 others have been confirmed to have contracted it and have tested positive and need treatment in hospital. Can't confirm it, but they have probably contracted it at work whilst wearing the PPE that the NHS have given us when we attend patients. PPE is no guarantee you won't contract it. The majority of people we go to now have some type of symptoms already, and the ones that don't it's equally as important we don't take anything in to them after they have taken the responsible route and stayed at home.

To the people who still go out more than necessary, please don't. You may not have very much consideration towards your own health, but it's possible you may be a carrier of this virus with no symptoms yourself whatsoever. Everything you touch, every time you breathe out, you may be passing that to others who are not so lucky to be able to fight it as well.

Young, old, fit or with underlying health conditions. This virus does not care. If you offer yourself to it, it will infect you with no bias.
How do I know?  I'm seeing it every day now first hand. Leaving someone at home with the advice to self isolate not knowing if they will make it is not nice. The speed at which this affects people is incredible. Someone healthy at day one has been dead at day 4, it really can be that severe. Thankfully, a large portion of the population have the ability to be infected and to fight it themselves without the need to be admitted to hospital. Please be respectful of those that can't.

Stay home and stay safe.
Take care.
Last edited by tojjer on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's going to get tougher if folks continue to ignore the social distancing rules.

Mr Hancock said: "If you don't want us to have to take the step to ban exercise of all forms outside of your own home, then you've got to follow the rules."

"Let's not have a minority spoil it for everybody."

"The more people stay at home the less the virus will spread".
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

What we are seeing in our lifetime is wars, famines, plagues, floods and earthquakes. We have always had these but it seems they are growing rapidly in frequency and intensity.
Last edited by Beagle on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: It's going to get tougher if folks continue to ignore the social distancing rules.

Mr Hancock said: "If you don't want us to have to take the step to ban exercise of all forms outside of your own home, then you've got to follow the rules."

"Let's not have a minority spoil it for everybody."

"The more people stay at home the less the virus will spread".

Easy to say if you've got a home with a garden or somewhere to tinker like a shed or garage, not so easy if you live in a high rise or apartment's. What do they do?
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

simbo wrote:

Easy to say if you've got a home with a garden or somewhere to tinker like a shed or garage, not so easy if you live in a high rise or apartment's. What do they do?
They will get there exercise walking up and down the stairs collecting crap they've ordered of the web that they didnt really need  :alas:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Man climbs height of Everest on his staircase".

If I'm upstairs, I go downstairs to the bog and vice versa, the stair carpet is taking some hammer.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »