General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Side Stand Switch

Post by David. »

Have I got this correct, you should not be able to ride off with the side stand down.

Look closely at this photo, is there a problem with the side stand switch on this RT.

Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Side Stand Switch

Post by milleplod »

Isn't it the centre stand hanging a bit low - just going on the kink in it? The one on my 1200ST could sit like that sometimes if I didn't give it a helpful kick! I eventually dismantled it and cleaned off the accumulated road muck that was causing the problem.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Zooming in, defo. looks like the side stand, Plod usually use the side stand for a quick get away.
It's partially tucked up which I think exaggerates the kink in it. He'll soon find out on a LH bend.

(To zoom in on the photo, left click on it, then expand to actual size).

Here's a close up of the side stand, I'm picking up on the foot peg bit too.

Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

Are you sure that's not the centre stand that's hanging low? As you say, the sidestand switch would prevent the engine running.
In in case I'm sure, if it hasn't already been discussed, someone else in the team will straight away spot it and mention it.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Side stand switches can and do fail. They are mounted in a vulnerable area, not protected from road dirt & debris etc. Have seen a couple of videos where the switches have failed, resulting in being unable to start the bike. The owners have chosen to electrically by-pass the switch. Presumably, they can fail whereby the bike can also be started and put in gear whilst the stand is not fully retracted.

The switches do look rather cheap & nasty. If that little peg breaks, the switch doesn't know what position the stand is in.

Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

It might have just failed to flick back to horizontal when the officer tried before setting off. I’ve just gone out to mine and from horizontal (position of rest) the side stand got to the position in the photo before the switch kicked in and cut the engine.
Attachments
6B915ADF-F02F-437A-AE10-B4288AD43567.jpeg
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Also with regard to the switches failing I investigated a fatal crash many years ago where the side stand switch activated whilst the machine was moving, cutting the engine and causing the machine to take a wider path on a right hand bend and ultimately a loss of control. Side stand was still in the stowed position and electrical testing turned up the fault.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

7vwh wrote:Also with regard to the switches failing I investigated a fatal crash many years ago where the side stand switch activated whilst the machine was moving, cutting the engine and causing the machine to take a wider path on a right hand bend and ultimately a loss of control.
A sobering thought, this ex-cop (US) by the sound of it, by-passed the side stand switch on his RT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXGGXKYk_E
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

7vwh wrote:It might have just failed to flick back to horizontal when the officer tried before setting off. I’ve just gone out to mine and from horizontal (position of rest) the side stand got to the position in the photo before the switch kicked in and cut the engine.
A fair cop, thanks for the "field testing", you can't beat it.

It proves that the switch is open/closed at the mid-point of it's travel. Hence the bike cop being able to set off with the side stand partially deployed. The original question asked, "is there a problem with the side stand switch on this RT". It would appear not, however, it would be far better if the switch cut the engine when the side stand is fully down and allowed the engine to run (in gear) only when fully retracted.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Wow do not like the sound of that !!!! am i right in saying that :vader: there is a chance your bike will cut out if the side stand fails and drops while you are in motion ? surely that is a serious safety malfunction .
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It takes quite a bit of pressure to push down my side stand. Seems if the function of this is subject to frequent maintenance checks there should not be a problem as it was designed to be safe.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A mechanical failure seems most unlikely, the crash and non-start situations were both caused by an electrical failure of the switch.

Perhaps the switches are only electrically tested by default if trying to set off with the stand fully deployed, when hopefully, the engine cuts out.

Or, a non-start situation when the stand is fully stowed away.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.